Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your FG might drop a little due to the increased alcohol in solution, but it won't be much if any.

This. You still have the same amount of unfermentable sugar in there, but since alcohol is less denser than water the additional alcohol may cause a slightly lower FG reading. But it will still be a high FG brew.

It hasn't been 48 hours yet, but that thing is still bubbling from my 1.5 lbs of sugars. Shouldn't it be about done by now? It has me a little excited, wondering if it's found some unfermented wort!

Until you take a gravity reading in a few days, we'd only be guessing

Yea. I'm leaving it alone until Monday, but I'm considering bottling my stout on schedule (Mon) and leaving this brown to sit until maybe Wed.

But I had assumed, as was suggested, that I killed my grains, and that it was done with that. Based on that I'd think that 1.5 lbs of sugar would ferment out within about 24-36 hrs. But I don't know...

I checked the gravity today and found it has dropped about .004 points to ~1.017 it seems. I was just curious and not looking for an accurate measurement. So I'm wondering if it wasn't more of a stalled fermentation, and maybe the mash temp as well. Or would the sugars alone likely have dropped it that much further?

I found that the oatmeal coffee stout that shared the same storage tub of water had also stalled out it seems. So I added a little brown sugar and gave a gentle stir including a little trub off of the bottom.

This beer has carbonation, but absolutely NO head at all. I haven't ever had this bad of an issue before. Is this possibly due to the mash temp getting too high?

I've pulled what I had refrigerated and set it back into the beer room and brought another 12 pack that's been sitting back there for an additional week. The temps have been a little cooler back there (low 70's?) than usual, but I gave it ~3 weeks, maybe just shy of.

Latest posts

Back