Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stuck fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
kingofprussia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stuck fermentation?

My second batch. Did an IPA kit. Didnt get an OG because my hydrometer had broke. It's been in the primary for three weeks now. Just took a reading and its around 1.017. It needs to get down to 1.010-1.012. The temperature has been a solid 68-70. Can I pitch more yeast? My volumes were a little high but pitched the yeast anyway. The primary had around 5 1/2 gallons and i still had some (not much) wort left but threw it out because i was afraid it would be too much wort for the yeast i had. The yeast vial said it was good for 5 gallons. Any suggestions or am i screwed? Thanks in advance. This forum rocks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
CCericola
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'd try swirling the carboy or bucket gently, and increasing the temperature slightly to see if that rouses up the yeast. If not, there's some great info on here about kits getting stuck.

As for the amount of volume versus the yeast, that's a complex subject. Short answer is you would've been fine with 5 1/2 gallons or 5 gallons. The yeast will multiply like little sugar eating bunny rabbits just the same. As you get a few more brews under your belt, you'll want to look at making yeast starters. It takes the smack packs and vials and allows you to create very large and healthy yeast colonies for a quick and healthy fermentation.

Enjoy!

Old 01-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
SVB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just to be sure, have you checked to make sure you hydrometer reads 1.000 in distilled water at calibration temp (usually 68*F)?

Quick Reply