Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stuck fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Tourney3p0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stuck fermentation?

I created a starter for my beer and fermentation began in a few hours. It fermented extremely strongly, much more strongly than any of my previous beers. At one point it even went up into the airlock, thus clogging it up. The pressure built up and blew the rubber stopper and airlock off. I resanitized the stopper and carboy and put it back in.

After about 3 and a half total days of fermentation, there was no more activity in the airlock. I gave it another day just to make sure. Unfortunately I could not take a gravity reading since the inner sides were coated with the blowoff, so I transferred it to another carboy. When I transferred it, I made sure to take all of it including the yeast settled at the bottom.

It's been in the new carboy for 2 days now, and there's still no activity in the airlock. The beer is mostly clear and I've got a thick layer of sediment settled at the bottom. The only problem is the gravity is 1.030. Conditions where the beer was being stored never changed (70 degrees, with the yeast calling for 68-72), so I don't see it stopping due to environmental effects.

I've made this beer a couple times before and never had a problem. What would cause it to stop fermenting? Also, what's the best course of action to make it continue?

Original gravity was 1.055 and target final is 1.015.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 591 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Final gravity is a relative term. What was the original gravity?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Tourney3p0
Recipes 

Wow, I originally had that in there but apparently removed it when I was doing some rewording. The original was 1.055 and the target should be 1.015. I edited the original message to reinclude that.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Three plus days of vigorous fermentation makes me believe you had more than a 25 point drop.

When you take a hydro reading, make sure after the hydro is floating in the tube of beer, that you bounce it up and down a few times to knock off any CO2 that tends to cling to the hydrometer. That can cause a false/high reading.

Is the 1.055 an actual reading or what the recipe projected?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Tourney3p0
Recipes 

The 1.055 was actual. I believe 1.060 was projected.

I've taken a couple different hydro readings over the past couple days and they've both been 1.030. Actually 1.031, but I'll just call it 1.030 for simplicity. I've also got another batch going and it's very close to its target, so I don't think the hydrometer is off.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I'm stumped. I'll assume this was an extract batch. Liquid or dry malt extract?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
Tourney3p0
Recipes 

It was mostly dry malt extract, but there were some specialty grains as well. Only around a pound though. I figure the specialty grains are probably why I ended up at 1.055 instead of 1.060.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have heard of a trick some people use to rouse up the yeast again to get them active. People sometimes take the degassing wands that you can find online or at your local store and actually stir up all of the yeast to get them moving again. I have heard that some "stuck" fermentations have taken off after they have been stirred up a bit using the degassing wand. I can't say this works from experience, but I do know that several posts on these forums offer this as a solution. Hope this helps!

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 02-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My advise would to be give this a bit longer, a week or two, and brew up another batch. When you transfer your 2nd batch off the yeast cake, transfer this batch onto that yeast cake. I have done this once or twice and it seems to work fairly well.

If it does not work, at least it has given you something else to do and allows you to make another batch of beer

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 02-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourney3p0 View Post
It was mostly dry malt extract, but there were some specialty grains as well. Only around a pound though. I figure the specialty grains are probably why I ended up at 1.055 instead of 1.060.
Didn't happen to be LaagLander brand of extract did it?

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply