Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is this stuck?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
travlin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is this stuck?

Hi, I'm looking for a little advise on my NB Caribou Slobber extract kit and i'm afraid i made a mistake by tossing the danstar windsor ale dry yeast in the freezer for a few weeks till i got around to brewing it, well After i removed it from the freezer i read the package and it says to store at 41-50 degrees F.
"guess i should have read it before tossing in the freezer"

So, I decided to give it a whirl and brew it anyway, All went well without any problems and i pitched it with this yeast after thawing it out while brewing...

Well SG started at 1.052 as it should be and the next morning the brew was bubbling "although not as rapidly as most brews I've done" but then came to a stop by the following day.. So i took a reading and was at 1.020 then waited a couple days and checked again, Still at 1.020 "no change"

So, my question is , Could i have screwed up the yeast by freezing it? And if so should i consider repitching?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
dcodd87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

What's the final gravity supposed to be?
What's the temperature of the fermentation?

Try giving the fermenter a swirl, do not shake it, just swirl it, give it a few and see if it will start back up.

If your fermenting in the low 60's try warming it up to the upper 60's

Imperial Stout - Primary

Any ideas for the next?

Old 06-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1000 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

It's not uncommon for extract batches to hit a wall and finish at 1.020. Especially if you add all of the extract at the beginning of the boil. I'd be willing to bet that it's done, and you're not going to get much lower. With that said, it sounds like it's only been a few days since you pitched. As mentioned warm it up a little and let it sit for another few days then re-check the gravity.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
travlin
Recipes 

ok , temp is right at 70 f and the fg should be around 1.012

Old 06-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 823

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin View Post
ok , temp is right at 70 f and the fg should be around 1.012
With windsor yeast, and using extract, I'm surprised it dropped all the way to 1.020. It's simply done, and done at 1.020. That is fine for that beer, and it can be bottled.
Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 06-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
travlin
Recipes 

ok thanks to u all

Old 06-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Yeah, Windsor is notorious for fermenting fast and not attenuating as far as most other strains. In some styles, that's a plus. Other times, it leaves you with a higher FG than you were looking for. The Caribou Slobber I've had was fairly sweet. You should be fine.

BTW- you didn't hurt that dry yeast at all by putting it in the freezer.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
BTW- you didn't hurt that dry yeast at all by putting it in the freezer.
I've never used the yeast in question here but I do use Fermentis dry yeasts all the time and keep them at 0F in the freezer up until a few hours before pitching. Been doing it this way for years. It was my understanding in fact that freezing dry yeast is the best way to store them (as well as hops, which I also keep in the freezer).

Both are kept in foodsaver bags:

Kal

Old 06-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
Shenanigan
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I brewed this 2 weeks ago and did a ton of reading after brewing. I read that with this kit the windsor rarely gets below 1.017. I hit that 3 days after and have had 0 airlock activity since. I decided it'd be a waste of beer to keep taking readings since it would just be sitting for another 3 weeks. In contrast, my American wheat with a half pound of honey and US-05 was bubbling for at least 5 days (I had to go away after the 5th day). Probably will never use windsor again. It also is apparently a low flocculator so it sitting in the primary for almost a month will probably be good for clearing.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bulk aging:Mango Wine
Bottled: Caribou Slobber (7/14), American Honey Orange Wheat (7/15), AHS Budget IPA, EdWorts Hause Pale ale, Irish Stout, my Haus Pale Ale, Apfelwein

Old 06-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigan View Post
I brewed this 2 weeks ago and did a ton of reading after brewing. I read that with this kit the windsor rarely gets below 1.017. I hit that 3 days after and have had 0 airlock activity since. I decided it'd be a waste of beer to keep taking readings since it would just be sitting for another 3 weeks. In contrast, my American wheat with a half pound of honey and US-05 was bubbling for at least 5 days (I had to go away after the 5th day). Probably will never use windsor again. It also is apparently a low flocculator so it sitting in the primary for almost a month will probably be good for clearing.
A good cold crash will help clear that beer in a short time.
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting: 2'd Clone
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: Sketchy Bastard | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Quick Reply