The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Strong alcohol smell and taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
ENMEDINA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Strong alcohol smell and taste

Hello,

I am brewing my first batch ever. It´s Coopers Traditional Draught. It´s been in the fermentation bucket for five days. The original density was 1040. For the last two days it´s been 1010. So I think it´s time to bottle and kegging.

The odd part is that when i took the last hydrometer reading this morning, I smelled it and it had a strong alcohol smell.

So, I took out my pint glass, poured half a pint, and tasted it. It had a very strong alcohol taste, too.

Is this normal? I originally added 950 grams of sugar to the kit. When kegging and bottling, should I add the standard 6 grams per liter? Or less?

Is my beer ruined? (Sorry for the topic, but I am really excited about brewing my own)

Thanks.

Last edited by ENMEDINA; 05-29-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 226

You are not tasting finished beer. You are tasting uncarbonated, green beer, which often is full of perceived flaws that will not exist in the finsihed product.

If I were you, I would give it another week - you CAN bottle after five days if gravity is stable, but you will likely get better beer if you give it a little more time (especially if you are getting a strong alcohol taste).

How warm did the beer get during fermentation? If it got hot (~75 degrees Farenheit or more), you may be tasting fusel alcohols (give beer an extra boozy flavor) that can take some time to condition out.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale
blakelyc Likes This 
Old 05-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
ENMEDINA
Recipes 

Thanks for your quick reply!

The beer got a maximum of 75 Farenheit and a minimum of 71 F.

I am going to do exactly as you suggest, I am going to give it another week in the ferment. bucket.

Thanks again!!

Quick Reply