The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Strong alcohol odor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 01:25 AM   #1
PAbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Strong alcohol odor

I just racked my double IPA to a secondary this evening after about 19 days. The is only my second brew. It had a really strong alcohol odor, but also a bit of stale beer smell. I did take a small taste... strong alcohol taste, not much notable taste otherwise. I didn't really get much hop flavor or smell.
Does a heavy beer need a long conditioning time to mellow out, and bring out the hop flavors? I still have to dry hop before bottling, so i would imagine that would give the batch some flavor and arroma.
My starting gravity was lower than called for... about 1.067, and my final gravity was around 1.013. that should put me somewhere around 7%. The recipe calls for 3 months completion. BTW, i brewed northern brewers IIPA.
Do you think my IIPA will turn out with some character?
Also, my primary was very slow and active for about 13 days!

Thanks for the advice

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2007, 01:50 AM   #2
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Your fermentation temp might have been a bit on the high side, but give it 2 weeks in the secondary and then another 3 in bottles or a keg. Should be more palatable, especially when chilled and carb'd.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

How much yeast did you pitch? Did you make a starter? Sounds like you may have some fusel alcohol. Go to http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html and compare what you pitched. With higher OGs you need even more yeast and oxygen, whether air or pure.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
jpuf
Recipes 

I agree with chillhayze, high fermentation temp. I've had that problem brewing big stuff in warmer weather. I moved my primarys to the basement, problem solved.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
PAbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBrewer
How much yeast did you pitch? Did you make a starter? Sounds like you may have some fusel alcohol. Go to http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html and compare what you pitched. With higher OGs you need even more yeast and oxygen, whether air or pure.
Well, i am not sure what to think. I started the fermentation upstairs, and noticed the next day that it was at 73 degrees, so i did move it to the basement. It stayed at a constant 68 degrees the entire time.

As for the starter, i did use a starter. I used wyeast smackpak, let the pak expand for about 2 days, then pitched it into 3/4 cup of LME. I pitched it into the brew two days later. So, i don't think i messed anything up there. Hopefully it mellows out after a while in the secondary. I guess i have to wait and see.

thanks

Old 06-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
tbone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I posted the same "problem"with my IPA after two weeks in the bottle. It had an extreme alcolol aftertaste that was not good. I brewed this batch in March so there was no temp. problems. It has now been 6 weeks since bottling and the alcohol aftertaste is just about gone. I can't give you a lot of advice since this IPA was just my second brew except to be patient. Mine is just starting to taste darn good.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAbrewer
Hopefully it mellows out after a while in the secondary. I guess i have to wait and see.
Fusel alcohol takes a long time to "condition out", but it's still worth a shot. Watch your temps (remember, once fermentation starts the mass of the wort is actually a few degrees warmer) and pitch lots of yeast, you'll be golden.

Quick Reply