Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > strike water too hot?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
cap1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default strike water too hot?

Hey everyone I just did my first Partial Mash brew and im wondering what happens if my strike water gets too hot and stays at the temp for about 5-10 minutes? Any feedback?

PRIMARY #1: Honey Brown Ale
PRIMARY #2: Lakefront Fixed Gear Clone
PRIMARY #3: None
KEG #1: American Cream Ale
KEG #2: Edwort's Apfelwein

Last edited by cap1; 12-04-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Of course the problem is not the strike water but the mashing water. You are speaking to experience here LOL

What has happened to ME is that my OG will come out fine and dandy - but I won't get the FG as low as you would want. Meaning you will have more unfermentable residule sugar then expected. (at least that is my take on it)

Happened on my last brew of Milk stout. I actually got higher OG but instead of an FG of 1.015 I only got to 1.025

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
NateKerx

Recipes 

Like Grinder said, the mash temp is the real key. If you missed you mash temperature by 10 degrees you must have missed the strike water temp by abut 15-20, hard to say without knowing how much heat your mash tun absorbed. In any case, unless you were mashing at 170+ I doubt your beer will be adversely affected.

In the future you can use temperature calculators like this to nail your mash temps

Kegged:
On Deck:Centennial Blonde, Amarillo Cream Ale

"Drinking is the joy of the Russes, we cannot live without this pleasure."

-Vladimir I, Grand Prince of Kiev

Old 12-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 908 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The only problem is having the mash sit at 160F or higher for even 10 minutes. Beta enzymes would be denatured pretty quickly and the final gravity of the beer will be higher than you want. If you get into the upper 160's, you pretty much denature all the enzymes and will get no conversion at all.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
iXanadu
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
The only problem is having the mash sit at 160F or higher for even 10 minutes. Beta enzymes would be denatured pretty quickly and the final gravity of the beer will be higher than you want. If you get into the upper 160's, you pretty much denature all the enzymes and will get no conversion at all.
Don't mean to hi-jack but this is kind of on topic.

Finally - after 6+ weeks I know what happened with my coffee stout. I ended up with a higher than anticipated OG and it wouldn't get down past 1.030. Even after 3+ weeks in the primary with the addition of champaign yeast. The problem was, as a total newbie I actually boiled my grains. Brought the water to a boil, added grains and shut the heat down. This is the first explanation that make sense to me.

TYVM!

==================================
Brewing Calendar: http://ical.me.com/ixanadu/Brewing%20Cal
Primaries:
1-2: Biermunchers Blue Balls 10 gal batch
3: Dunkel from "Brewing Classic Styles"
4: Hefeweizen BYOB Paulner clone
5: Biermunchers Centennial Blonde

Secondaries:
1-4: empty

Cold Crashing: Biermunchers Tits up IPA

On Tap: American Wheat, Dunkel (wlp380), Chocolate Stout, Biermuncher OctoberFast.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:11 AM   #6
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Seriously - mistakes will teach you so much because all you can do is think about what went wrong and why. I still have one that I can not figure out but . . . .what can I do. I THINK I did not have a vigorous boil and it turned out very watery. Batch #2.

cap1 - your beer will taste fine - just not exactly as expected. A little more body and Alcohol will be less then hoped but very drinkable.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Quick Reply