Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Strangely fast carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
tyraindreams
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Strangely fast carbonation

I'm moving my discussion that I offtopiced in another thread to here because I'm trying to figure out why my beer is carbonated after 3-4 days. I took this video a little drunk last night(and decided to wait and review it in the morning before posting a drunken video, felt i sounded like a git and posted it anyways) and I apologize for the camera work but the guy(neighbor) who was going to take the video was passed out drunk after bottling and brewing his weird IPA all day...

If you remember my earlier post where I was trying to figure out why it was doing this

I think it may have something to do with the amount of CO2 it produced during fermentation... I brewed on the 5th and racked to the secondary on the 10th and then bottled on the 16th then Friday it was pretty carbonated and yesterday was pretty good too...

Its not that I'm unhappy with carbonated beer... I just wonder why its happened this way... since this was first batch ever its been a pretty extreme experience considering :P

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
tyraindreams
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know how to embed youtube videos... If anyone knows how to fix this...

Old 08-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2006 Times on 1757 Posts
Likes Given: 1485

You bring up the video you want on a separate tab. Then when that tab is white (on viewer),you left click on the the window with the site code on it to high-lite it blue. Then right click,window pops up,you click on "copy". Goto your reply box,click on the little blue globe symbol with the chain link. Another box pops up,Right click on it,click "paste",then hit ok. You're done.
Sometimes they carb up fast due to temps,priming sugar used,being mixed well,& of low to medium gravity. That's my experience. I had my Sunset Gold APA carb up very well in 11 days flat. But...it still took till 4 weeks in the bottles for the flavors/aromas to age properly. You can speed up carbonation,but you can't speed aging. It seems to me that bulk priming makes carbonation go faster,since it's in solution before it's mixed into the beer.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It's not unusual for a bottled beer to carb in just a few days. The reason that you don't want to drink it for 2-3 weeks has more to do with the CO2 dissolving equally into the beer and the yeast cleaning up the last off-flavors of fermentation than it does actually waiting for the beer to carb.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 08-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

The carbonation dissolving into solution does help our perception of the beer's flavor,but it's not the end all of it. The flavors & aromas need time to mature,which isn't a function of carbonation. It's a seperate issue that can't be hurried. Take stouts for example,or barley wines.
It just takes time for the whole thing to be ready,not just the bubbles.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
tyraindreams
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, Got it to work!

Yeah it absolutely needs a bit of aging... But I'm just surprised it didn't take the two weeks to carbonate...

Nice beer though its less porter and more like a clone of Bell's Cherry Stout with a slightly lighter cherry flavor which is what I wanted...

Old 08-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
tyraindreams
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alright well it's only going to get to age as long as it takes me to drink it :P I really like the way it tastes now... ill probably save a few bottles to see what it could have been if it wasnt so tasty from the start.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

That's another thing we all have to work through. Patience is a learned behavior.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2652 Times on 2070 Posts
Likes Given: 299

Low grav beers tend to carb up quick... my record was a honeyweizen that I primed with honey, it was fully carbonated in about 36 hours. All the suspended yeast, the lowish ABV, and the highly fermentable honey was a perfect storm for quick carbonation

Old 08-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
tyraindreams
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OG was 1.056
FG was 1.002

It was pretty fizzy when i transferred from the secondary to the bottling bucket any chance that CO2 carried over? Maybe we should all carbonate with fresh cherries :P

Quick Reply