Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > strange thing !!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
WheaYaAt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default strange thing !!!!!!

ok so i bottled my 2.5 gallon batch of chocolate almond stout about 2 weeks ago. well i wanted to conduct a little experiment. so when i bottled, i filled 12 of them 3/4 from the top of the cap and i did the other 12 about 2 inches from the cap. so i go to try one right...... weeeelllllll, first i tried one that was 2 inches from the top. -BEER, DEFINITELY BEER, BUT FLAT AND NO HEAD RETENTION WHAT SO EVER, AND COULD NOT TASTE THE ALMOND EXTRACT AT ALL, KINDA GAVE ME A HEADACHE.... LIKE STRAIGHT LME- next i tried the one that was 3/4 from the top of the cap - MAN, 2-3 INCHES OF HEAD, ALMOND WAS THERE AS THE AFTER TASTE AND REALLY GOOD, COULD USE ALITTLE MORE TIME, BUT WAY BETTER- any ideas???? -Lee

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Do you have a bottling wand? You are supposed to fill the bottle right to the top with those and when you remove it, the perfect amount of head space is left. Leaving too much room means there is too much space for the CO2 that is given off to move into before it has to be absorbed by the beer, meaning it stays flat.

PS: Take it easy on the caps lock

Old 10-13-2008, 03:35 AM   #3
WheaYaAt
Recipes 

Default update

well the first beer i tried was put in the fridge and cooled. that is the one that had no head. well i opened 3 that were room temp and they went crazy. 3 inch head on it. why is the cooled beer lacking head. ????

Old 10-13-2008, 03:57 AM   #4
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Leave it in the refrigerator longer. If I am remembering correctly, cold liquids hold much more CO2. When it is warm, all of the carbonation wants to escape quickly. If you leave it in the fridge for a few days, you let the CO2 even itself out in the beer.

Also, 2 weeks is slightly low on how long you should let beer bottle condition. I'd let is sit for another week before chilling more.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:08 AM   #5
WheaYaAt
Recipes 

hey thanks bro, and yeah i figured it was a little short but i like to try one every week after bottling. to get the taste right you know. i learn alot that way. but thanks again.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:17 AM   #6
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Posting the same question in multiple threads I see.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:26 AM   #7
WheaYaAt
Recipes 

kinda sorta, don't call 5 0 ok !!! LOL

Quick Reply