Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > straining wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
J-bone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default straining wort

I'm a newbie. Made my first batch on Saturday Dec 1st. India Pale Ale from a kit, plus extra hops for more bitter. After it cooled down enough to add to the Carboy, I began quickly pouring it in. Then realized there was a ton of sediment, and that I should probably be straining it the whole time. I strained the last 1/4 of it, but there is an inch and a half of hops in the bottom of the Carboy. Is this ruining my beer?
Should I siphon it into another Carboy so that the hops aren't steeping way too much bitter into my brew? Or should I leave it the way it is to avoid upsetting the yeast or running the risk of contaminating my batch. There is good foam happening in the Carboy so far. I'm worried about undrinkable bitter beer.
Thanks
J-bone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
TheBone
Recipes 

Default Very interested to hear the answer to

this question. Did my very first batch on Saturday. I DID use a funnel which had a strainer. I was amazed how much junk was in the wort. It took a long time to strain the entire 1.5 gallons of wort into the carboy...

Primary:Northern Brewers Nut Brown, Northern Brewers British Bitter, Home Brewers Outlet Steam, Northern Brewers Honey Kolsch

Old 12-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You will be fine. I have read several articles that point out that leaving hop residue in the primary or secondary actually helps the beer to clear. You can strain it going into your bottling bucket no problem, just dont get any splashing or bubbles.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 12-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There sure are a lot of bones in this thread... not sure if that's good or bad

Seriously though, you'll be fine. Anything that didn't get strained will settle to the bottom and you'll siphon off the top of it when you rack to secondary, leaving almost all of it behind.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
TheBone
Recipes 

Default When I did mine,

we still had about half gallon of water that needed to be added to make 5 gallons, so we poured the water through the accumulated sludge that was in the screened funnel....

Primary:Northern Brewers Nut Brown, Northern Brewers British Bitter, Home Brewers Outlet Steam, Northern Brewers Honey Kolsch

Old 12-03-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
jmiracle

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBone
we still had about half gallon of water that needed to be added to make 5 gallons, so we poured the water through the accumulated sludge that was in the screened funnel....
That's called sparging (although I think something else is called sparging in all-grain brewing) and is a good thing.
Bottled & carbing: Nothin
drinking: Poet on Payday Wee Heavy
gone but not forgotten: Wilford (Oatmeal Stout) Samhain Surprise Porter, J's Mirac-Ale (Brown Ale), Altered Beast Ale (German Alt), Chucks Not Ballys Cali Common, S'Wheat (Honey Weizen), NIHs (Numerous Identical Hefes), Wittler Farms Maple Brown, Failed Experimental Yarrow Beer, O'Mega Red (Irish Red)

Old 12-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #7
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiracle
That's called sparging (although I think something else is called sparging in all-grain brewing) and is a good thing.
That's what Alton Brown calls sparging, but the actual technical term is 'topping off'.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
jmiracle

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
That's what Alton Brown calls sparging, but the actual technical term is 'topping off'.
Well now I just feel silly.
Bottled & carbing: Nothin
drinking: Poet on Payday Wee Heavy
gone but not forgotten: Wilford (Oatmeal Stout) Samhain Surprise Porter, J's Mirac-Ale (Brown Ale), Altered Beast Ale (German Alt), Chucks Not Ballys Cali Common, S'Wheat (Honey Weizen), NIHs (Numerous Identical Hefes), Wittler Farms Maple Brown, Failed Experimental Yarrow Beer, O'Mega Red (Irish Red)

Old 12-03-2007, 11:59 PM   #9
Brewno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've made 4 batches thus far and have only poured my wort into my fermenter/carboy. I haven't strained at all. I've never noticed any sediment other then perhaps a tablespoonful or two.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:39 AM   #10
J-bone
Recipes 

Thanks for the votes of confidence...
Seems like a funnel with a strainer in it is the way to go when making beer with lots of hops.
Appreciate it folks
J-bone

Quick Reply