Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Straining beer when transferring to bottling bucket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
McBrewski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Straining beer when transferring to bottling bucket

Right now I have my beer in secondary fermentation in my carboy. Is it a good idea to pour the beer through a strainer when transferring it into my bottling bucket, or do some of the particles need to be kept with the beer for flavor purposes?

Also, if I pour the beer through a strainer, does that clear the sediment in the beer out enough to allow me to completely bypass the secondary fermentation step?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

You don't want to 'pour' the beer anywhere at this point because oxidation will occur. You want to 'rack' your beer (meaning siphon) so that no oxygen is mixed with the beer. If you leave the beer in the secondary long enough.....most if not all of the particles will settle to the bottom, so... you'll 'rack' your beer without sucking any of it up. Hope this helps....

Old 06-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
McBrewski
Recipes 

Right...rack is the word I meant to use instead of pour. I guess my main question is will siphoning the beer through a strainer into the bottling bucket help in any way or would it be pointless to do so?

Old 06-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

No.....First off, you never want to "pour" fermented beer, unless it is going from a bottle to your glass.

You want to gently rack from the bottom of the secondary to the bottom of your bottling bucket gently. Limiting the amount of air contact on the beer which can cause a wet cardborad off flavor...by using an autoshiphon and filling in this manner (the same way you fill a bottle from the bottom to the top) the co2 cushion that is protecting the beer will push any oxygen up and out of your vessel, again protecting you beer from too much O2 exposure.

Now as to the need to "strain" if you have secondaried or long primaried, all the stuff you let settle, is at the bottom, and if you carefully siphon, you won't get anything transfered.

What I do is hold the autosiphon so it is a little above the sediment layer and and rack the majority of beer over (you can clip or clamp it) then I gently lower it to catch the rest of your beer.

You really won't get much in your beer if you are careful...some people do stick a a piece of pantyhose or hopsack material and rubberband it to the bottom of the autosiphon (make sure it all is sanitized) if they think there is lots of hop chunks or other particles in it...that acts as a strainer or filter.

But rarely i my experince is that even necessary.

Hope this helps.

Remember once you pitch the yeast and until you are about to drink the beer in a glass, "pouring" of any kind is bad for the beer...

And if you want to read some tips for bottling, that a bunch of us put together, check out this thread. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revv...herwise-94812/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Keithcrash Likes This 
Old 06-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
You don't want to 'pour' the beer anywhere at this point because oxidation will occur. You want to 'rack' your beer (meaning siphon) so that no oxygen is mixed with the beer. If you leave the beer in the secondary long enough.....most if not all of the particles will settle to the bottom, so... you'll 'rack' your beer without sucking any of it up. Hope this helps....
+1 for not pouring into your bottling bucket, +2 for not straining as you pour, both will introduce oxygen ruining your beer.

As for using a secondary, it will help to clear, but an extended primary will suffice as long as you are careful when racking to the bottling bucket.

Remember, if you bottle condition, you will also have another three weeks to allow sedimentation to occur inside the bottle, helping to clear the beer. In addition, if you place your bottles into the fridge for a week or two after conditioning, and before drinking, it will also help to clear your beer.

And +1,000,000 for Revvy's bottling tips, they helped me out significantly!

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 06-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

its pointless ... just wait for the beer to clear naturaly then rack to your bottling bucket and bottle.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've never understood the desire to have perfectly sediment free homebrew. Its not going to hurt you. If anything, its a little extra protein. And its not going to hurt the beer either.

You should have seen the crap that settled out of my cranberry pLambic. A year later, it was just as tasty.

Last edited by Beernik; 06-26-2009 at 10:04 PM.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:27 AM   #8
McBrewski
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
I've never understood the desire to have perfectly sediment free homebrew. Its not going to hurt you. If anything, its a little extra protein. And its not going to hurt the beer either.

You should have seen the crap that settled out of my cranberry pLambic. A year later, it was just as tasty.
Lol maybe because I don't want chunks of **** going into my mouth while I'm drinking a beer?

Also, my auto-siphon broke my first time using it, is there really a huge problem with me just using my mouth on the tubing to get it started?

Old 06-27-2009, 12:33 AM   #9
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBrewski View Post
Lol maybe because I don't want chunks of **** going into my mouth while I'm drinking a beer?

Also, my auto-siphon broke my first time using it, is there really a huge problem with me just using my mouth on the tubing to get it started?
There is always a possibility of infection when using your mouth to start a siphon, ther is alot of bacteria in your mouth, and hell we don't even know where your mouth has been!

A siphon can be started by filling your hose with water and allowing the water to drain in order to start the siphon, opposed to suckin on it!

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 06-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 19

McBrewski, Embrace the yeast, drink mit hefe.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Quick Reply