Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stove vs Propane Burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
Newgene
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Stove vs Propane Burner

I am debating using my stove for ease of boiling. I tested how well my stovetop works today on a new aluminum pot, and it took less than a half hour to get 6.5 gallons up to a decent roll.

Here's my question, does it make sense to boil the wort on the stove top, even though I have the propane burner? I have a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer pot, and I'm wondering if I'm playing with fire to try to do the all grain on the stove top. My biggest concern is not getting the wort up to temp. It's trying to make sure I don't boil over.

I am tempted to do it on the stove. Any thoughts on this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
Nova5
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Propane Burner Boilover = just hose it off the concrete.
Stove Boilover = One big damn mess.

TransGalactic Brewing. 2012+
Old Dark Tower Brewery, Est 2009.
5gal Primary #1 :
5Gal Primary #2 Empty
MRB Primary #1 : Empty
MRB Primary #2 Empty
Carbed to Beery Goodness! - AHS Lando Cascadian Dark Ale - Brewed 10/28/12, Dry Hoppin 11/4/12, Bottled 11/10/12

Carbing - AHS Clone - Southhampton DoubleWhite - Brewed 11/11/12, Bottled 1/20/13

EvilTapeWorm Likes This 
Old 12-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
ardentfrost
Recipes 

For me, the propane burner out in my garage makes it easier to clean up boil overs (hose + push broom, though those are fairly rare these days with fermencap), easier to work around since the pot sits at knee level instead of chest level, easier to use my IC since I have a spigot nearby and if a connection leaks also not a big deal since it's in the garage, and my wife doesn't get angry about the smell (which I like, but it does linger a bit).

Also my stove is electric, so I find I can get a more reliable boil on the propane burner.

That's just my opinion. There's nothing wrong with doing it on your stove, I personally just find it a lot easier over the burner in my garage.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
dshaggy
Recipes 

I heat all my mash/sparge water on the stove, but do the boil outside with propane. As Nova said, a boilover on the stove is not fun to clean up.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

I use the propane burner b/c in my case it's much faster than using my stove top and since I often brew 10 gallon batches, it's impossible to boil 12 gallons on my stove.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
damnyankee
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Do what works best and is most convenient for YOU.

DY

Old 12-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
beertoole
Recipes 

I was a stove guy for a while and just switched to Propane. I always thought "I will never get a boil-over--I watch the wort way too closely." Yeah, well, I got my boil over and I went out to buy a propane burner 4 hours later. lol

My wife still shoots me nasty looks when I say I'm going to brew. It took 45 minutes of cleaning!

Old 12-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
ArizonaDB
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I've wondered about this myself. I used to do 4-4.5gal boils on my stove in a SS pot, then got the turkey fryer with a 7.5gal aluminum pot and now do 6-6.5 gal boils in it. I have been throwing around the idea of trying the full boil on my gas stove with the aluminum pot (since I believe aluminum conducts heat better than SS) and see if I can get a strong enough boil with 6gals. I am a little worried about a boil over on the stove, as that would be an epic mess, but it might be worth it now that the weather is getting colder and it would make it easier to watch my 10 month old while brewing. Fermcap is your friend. :-)

Experimentation -- one of my favorite things about homebrewing.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertoole View Post
I was a stove guy for a while and just switched to Propane. I always thought "I will never get a boil-over--I watch the wort way too closely." Yeah, well, I got my boil over and I went out to buy a propane burner 4 hours later. lol

My wife still shoots me nasty looks when I say I'm going to brew. It took 45 minutes of cleaning!
Yeah, that's what I am thinking. It probably would work 90% of the time without a boilover mess. However, the one time I did, I would regret it. I was also trying to make sure I had enough propane. I'm pretty sure I do, but this this a 90 minute boil. If I run out of propane, well, I guess the choice would be made for me to use the stove to finish it.

Thanks everyone

Old 12-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I currently use my stove for AG full boils but it is reaking havoc on the finish. It also creates a lot of steam and condensation in my house. I'm going to get an outdoor setup soon before my wife kills me.

Quick Reply