Stout and Nut Brown Ale Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smeltz

Reaction score
Me and my buddies share our batches so we have to order in bulk, plus it saves money. If we want to learn/perfect a stout and a nut brown ale, what are the necessary malts that we'll have to order? So far we have:
2-row
Carapils
Caramel 60L
Victory
Chocolate
Roasted

If I don't enjoy too bitter of a stout, should I just hold off on the black patent and sub with more chocolate?

Thanks!

I personally like Pale Chocolate better. I don't think I've ever really used Black Patent when I've tasted Black Patent grains they have a weird ashy taste I can't stand.

I also add an English brown malt in the equation. Adds both light roast and chocolate flavor. I just brewed an american brown, but turned out to be more stoutish. Still very happy with it.

i just brewed a nice brown last weekend. I split the base malt between marris otter and 2 row, and it had victory, chocolate malt, brown malt, toasted oatmeal, and a touch honey malt.
If you make the brown ale grist complex enough you will not need the carapils. You can get the body by mashing at a little higher temp or by adding oatmeal- or both :)

for the stout, if you want an american style stout I'd just add roasted barley and maybe a touch of chocolate if you feel inclined. Flaked barley is good too in addition to the darker malts.

Back