Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > stout...Light or Dark DME

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
Evan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default stout...Light or Dark DME

i'm going to be brewing a stout either this weekend or next, the recipe i got off of beertools had called for Xlbs of Dark DME. I had ordered everything i need and its sitting at home, but the last few days i've been seeing topics on just Light DME for everything even stouts and letting the grain take care of the color. how much of a difference would it make by using Dark rather then the Light?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It won't make much of a difference at all.

The point about using an extra light DME as a base is especially true for lighter brews, IPAs, etc.

With that said, I use dark grains for the flavor/color and do use extra light DME as a late addition. The late addition is not to try to preserve a light color by less carmelization as much as it is trying to maintain a boiling gravity of about 1.040 - 1.050 for better hop utilization.

I recently made a great tasting Guiness clone. If you're interested in my step by step instructions email me for a copy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply