*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stout kits?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #11
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_wes
What's the difference between Extract and brew in a bag?
Extract uses malt extract. Adding specialty grains to an extract batch provide color and flavor but very little in fermentable sugar. Steeping requires putting grains in a bag but that is not the technique that northern brewer is referring to. Brew in a bag (BIAB) refers to a technique to all grain brew, other than the traditional 3 tier setup. Many people go this route when the want to advance to all grain and don't want/have the money to buy all grain equipment or brewing space is an issue.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #12
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 10

just kicked the keg on an extract brew that I got from Midwest. It turned out to be an AWESOME snout. I'd like to clone it so I can get ingredients locally and not have to pay shipping.. Turned out beautiful. Did I say I really liked it?

Old 01-11-2013, 02:39 AM   #13
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 96

I have Northern Brewers Dry Irish Stout in the bottle. Excellent flavor and body. NBs Big Honkin Stout in a primary. These two extract kits come with steeping grains. Just ordered the Oatmeal Stout. The Oatmeal Stout is a partial mash kit. You are offered a choice of yeasts. The basic instructions with the kits are pretty good. Read them thoroughly and begin writing notes with your first addition to the boil.

Quick Reply