Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stout - Fermentation issues?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #11
BrettPreston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks guys. Seems as thought some bad advice and being a new comer have proved issues here!

If I were to remove the belt, this would help yes?

See if it is ok and if it seems to of came to a halt would it be an idea to try and restart it with another yeast?

When I get home this eve, I will take that belt off, allow the temp to drop and hope it kicks starts!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #12
BrettPreston
Recipes 

Also, what hydro reading should I expect from an export stout?

It's an extract kit made by Simply.

Thanks.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #13
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 680 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 620

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettPreston View Post
If I were to remove the belt, this would help yes?
Unfortunately, the damage is done. Yeast produce the bulk of their flavour compounds during those first 2-3 days of fermentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettPreston View Post
See if it is ok and if it seems to of came to a halt would it be an idea to try and restart it with another yeast?
The problem with fermenting warm isn't causing the yeast to stall out. The problem is they ferment too vigorously. You see, the yeast actually LOVE the warmer temperatures. They go crazy. They ferment like mad. But in doing so, they produce a lot of the flavours we don't like. So our "best practice" is to ferment them cooler, in the low-to-mid 60's, to cause them to calmly and methodically ferment the sugars, instead of just going to town on them. Adding more yeast now won't do anything - there'll be very few fermentable sugars left in your beer. Fermenting warm would have caused the yeast to consume anything and everything available to it.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #14
BrettPreston
Recipes 

Ok, likely hood is it's done for then. Shame. I'll give it a taste never the less.

On another note, is there a rough guide to hydro readings, so mine started at 1046, what would be the hopeful hydro reading of when it is ready for example?

Is there a guideline reading or different for each beer?

Old 02-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #15
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

It's "ready" when the gravity stops changing. That is, after 2-3 weeks of fermenting, take a hydrometer reading. 3 days later, take another one. If they're the same, it's done. If the gravity is still dropping (very unlikely after 3 weeks unless you have an infection), then give it more time and try again in a week.

The final gravity is a product of many factors, such as the fermentability of the wort and the attenuation range of the yeast being used. Also pitch rate, temperature control, and aeration can factor in to determining just what your final gravity will be. But in general, once it's stopped, there's not much you can do to force it down much further.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #16
Rkoory
Recipes 

I concur with Kombat's assessment. What is will be at this point.

Are you using a bucket, or a glass/plastic carboy? I prefer observing my beer as a method of determine where it is in terms of being ready to bottle. Waiting for an ideal final gravity isn't usually very effective, as creating a wort that will land on an ideal final gravity is a bit difficult without a great deal of control over the mashing process.

I watch my beer. Once the airlock has calmed, and the beer has cleared, then I know it’s ready.

I have found that I enjoy brewing more when I don't stress my mistakes. I take note of them, and attempt to avoid them again in the future, but don't let them take away from the beer that you have made.

The beer will be what it will be. Enjoy it for what it is. Sometime mistakes make for some interesting results. I recently made an American strong whose final gravity was supposed to be 1.015. Turns out my thermometer was reading 8 degrees Fahrenheit to high. Beer ended with a final gravity of 1.006. It made for a very malt, dry beer. Not what I expected but interesting and great.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #17
BrettPreston
Recipes 

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your comments.

So, tonight I've just done a hydro reading. It was 1.010. The beer seems to smell ok, I tasted a small amount, it was roasted and slight coffee taste to it, slightly bitter also. Now nothing to bad considering it's a export stout?

So, original reading at start was 1.045 and reading now is 1.010 which gives a rough AVB of 4.6% which is not to bad.

I've taken the brew belt off and put it far far away! Temp is dropping and hopefully will get down.

My question is, do you think I should continue with it. Leave it for another few days till the weekend to clear etc the try bottling and pressure barrel it up, leave for a 3/4 weeks and see what it taste like?

My hope, is that, as it's a stout, it won't taste off or be to obvious and hopefully drinkable! I know it won't win no prizes but with a shot, surely?

Old 02-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #18
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Definitely finish it, for sure. You've nothing to lose at this point except your time and a few bottle caps. Might as well see it through so you'll have something to compare your next batch to.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 PM   #19
rocketsan
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts

It will still be drinkable...some of you are too much...

Old 02-25-2014, 12:04 AM   #20
roger_tucker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I'd finish it. Lack of perfection does not mean lack of drinkability.

Quick Reply