Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > A story of patience...almost. Ill call it "accidental patience".

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
GeorgiaTiger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default A story of patience...almost. Ill call it "accidental patience".

I went to the fridge a few minutes ago to get a beer...yep, Im out. Had a friend over a few weeks ago and apparently he LOVED MY BREW because its gone. I know we tied one on and drank an assload of brew, but had no clue we drank it ALL! Now, I have been sick with a stomach virus and a staph infection that made me go to the hospital so I hadnt been in the mood for beer in a while until I hit the fridge tonight. Well, I was rooting around in there and found ONE hefe that we didnt get to. I felt like a kid at Christmas.

I cracked open that top and poured it in my glass and it was the best looking beer I had seen that came from MY hands. It was just a little hazy, because it was a hefe, but it was way clearer than a few weeks ago. The flavor was amazing! It actually matured a bit in the two extra weeks it was in the fridge. It was crisp, carbonated right, and had the banana and cloves that the others from this batch didn't have as much of. THIS one was balanced!

So, by having that beer hidden in the bottom of my fridge for two extra weeks, it totally changed in taste and complexity. That is my story in patience...almost. It was "accidental patience" but it taught me to leave my beer for just a wee bit longer. Maybe you should do the same if you are a noob as well!

Allen
"Im an airlock sniffer...I sniff airlocks"
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1908 Times on 1679 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

I always go with Angus Young of AC/DC on these. I call them "happy accidents". I have them every now & then. Revelation isn't strictly reserved for the biblical.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
biohaz7331
Brew Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

True true. What I try to do is have some good beer around so I am less tempted to touch my beer until it sits just a little extra. Always turns out that much better as well and it is always worth the wait

Old 02-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yea, I first discovered the magic of long fridge time after carbonation when I stumbled upon one that had been in the back for the fridge for 3 months. It was crystal clear and the yeast cake on the bottom was so tight that I could upend the bottle and no sediment came out. Had to use hot water to clean it out of the bottle.

I've noticed how clear my kegged beer is too after a couple of month. I live alone, and I'm pretty much the only one drinking my own beer, and I'm not always in the mood for what I have on tap, so I may have a beer on tap for 3 or more months before it kicks. Last week I pulled a pint of my cream ale, and you would have thought it was a commercial filtered beer, it was amazingly polished looking.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1908 Times on 1679 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Sounds like me. I discovered the 2 week fridge time bit when I forgot some beers a year or two ago that'd been put in the fridge for labor day bbq. A week later,they were clear,well carbed,& the head was so thick on some of them it wouldn't jiggle when the beer did.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Definitely subscribe to a bit of lengthy fridge time for it's efficacy on home brew that's ready for it

Quick Reply