New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Storing a sixer for 5 months

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 04:55 AM   #1
LeftyMcGee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Storing a sixer for 5 months

I am saving a sixer of my first brew, a BB American Amber Ale, for 5 months. It has been sitting at around 80 degrees for 5 weeks. Unfortunately, I live in the desert and don't really want to turn my AC down any further. Should I let it sit at room temp for the rest of the 5 months or would it be better to store it in my frig?

After 21 days would it be better for me to move my bottles to the frig or give them more time at room temp?

Thanks to everyone here for the great advice!

Last edited by LeftyMcGee; 05-24-2008 at 02:34 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
LeftyMcGee
Recipes 

Can anyone help me out on this? I have read some posts about people storing beer in their wine cellar, but I don't have that option. Just really wondering if 80 degrees or the refrigerator (after 21 days of conditioning) is the better option. Thanks!

Old 05-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Why do you have to store it for five months? To answer your question, the fridge would be better than 80 F.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
sittingturbo
Recipes 

I second the fridge. Only problem is if your like me you got 20 gallons sitting around and 10 more in kegs in the fridge. So I don't have anymore room.

Upcoming: None

Old 05-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
LeftyMcGee
Recipes 

I don't have to store for five months. I just want to see how a sixer will tastes 5 months down the line. The rest is almost gone.

Frig it is! Thanks!

Old 05-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
LeftyMcGee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingturbo View Post
I second the fridge. Only problem is if your like me you got 20 gallons sitting around and 10 more in kegs in the fridge. So I don't have anymore room.
This is a problem I wish I had! Just brewed my 4th batch yesterday, so I am still trying to build up a reserve.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

I save a bottle from every batch to taste 6 months later....I just store them at room temp like I would be if I were bottle condition a beer...Except I have a small cupboard in the kitcen that I store them in (I live in a loft and have little space).

Just find the coolest, darkest place, in your home/apartment you can stash them in. If beer cases can fit under your bed, then that's an option....

if you can, store them close to an ac vent. You don't necessarily have to lower your ac to keep then cool.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 05-25-2008 at 07:02 PM.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
buraglio
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyMcGee View Post
I don't have to store for five months. I just want to see how a sixer will tastes 5 months down the line. The rest is almost gone.

Frig it is! Thanks!
This is something I always do as well, I've got ~6 bottles from every brew I've made thus far (except maybe the first apfelwein) "hidden" away in an inconvenient place in my basement (to deter me from getting then out).

nb

------------------------------------

Blog

Quick Reply