New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Storing hops

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 03:55 AM   #11
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 70

So does the lid attachment stay fixed to the jar or can I use the standard ring and lid after the vacuum is pulled?

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 05:09 AM   #12
DirtyOldDuck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 108

The attachment goes over the lid. Once sealed, you remove the attachment and can add a ring, if desired, but it is not necessary.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #13
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldDuck View Post
I have the jar attachment, but I prefer to use bags. I buy the 8" x 20' when I find them on sale. The ZipLoc brand are a couple of bucks cheaper than the FlavorSaver brand and work just as well with the FlavorSaver. I break each pound into individual ounce packages and store in the freezer. Even with the cost of the bag rolls it is cheaper than buying by the ounce at most LHBS. If I need less than an ounce, I weigh out what I need and reseal the bag, noting the new weight on the bag, of course.

I should add that I use leaf hops. If you use pellets, each roll of bags will go a lot further.
Eh i guess it depends if your finding the bags at a decent cost, i found resealing them to be a giant PITA to pull out .5 oz of hops.

When places like Brew brothers have hops @ $1/oz for many of their hops adding any repeatable cost by using the bags seems pointless.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze

adding any repeatable cost by using the bags seems pointless.
Thanks for that thought Fuzze. That's what I was coming to on this as well. I'm paying almost $2 an ounce at the lhbs and, if I add to a mail order that gets free shipping that omens down to $1.12 oz. Add a bunch of bags and we could be over $2 again. No savings. That's where the re-sealable jar makes sense to me. Higher initial cost but then virtually free afterward.

--------

Beer ----

--- the reason I wake up every afternoon.

------

Old 03-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
NathPowe
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

Howdy. Thought I'd chime in on the mason jar in the freezer tactic. Works great for me. Another option for vacuum sealing the mason jars (and this is admittedly uber cheap of me, buy hey it works) is to get the food saver attachment - $10 for the wide mouth version - and then buy a $4 pack of those ziploc vacuum sealer bags. The ziploc bags are basically useless, but the hand pump that comes with it works great on the food saver attachment. I get a really nice seal on my jars and my hops stay happy. Tough to beat for ~$15 and some jars.

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03-0023-01-Wide-Mouth-Jar-Sealer/dp/B00005TN7H/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362225971&sr=8-1&keywords=foodsaver+jar+attachment

http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Vacuum-Starter-3-Quart-1-Pump/dp/B003UEMFUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362226139&sr=8-1&keywords=Ziploc%C2%AE+Brand+Vacuum+Freezer+Syste m

Brew on.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #16
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathPowe
Howdy. Thought I'd chime in on the mason jar in the freezer tactic. Works great for me. Another option for vacuum sealing the mason jars (and this is admittedly uber cheap of me, buy hey it works) is to get the food saver attachment - $12 for the wide mouth version - and then buy a $3 pack of those ziploc vacuum sealer bags. The ziploc bags are basically useless, but the hand pump that comes with it works great on the food saver attachment. I get a really nice seal on my jars and my hops stay happy. Tough to beat for $15 and some jars.

Brew on.
So it sounds like that setup is pretty much free of operational costs once you buy the equipment?

Oh, and "über cheap" works for me just fine! :-)

--------

Beer ----

------

Old 03-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #17
NathPowe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddlethumper View Post
So it sounds like that setup is pretty much free of operational costs once you buy the equipment?

Oh, and "über cheap" works for me just fine! :-)
Yup, all it will cost you is the few seconds it takes to pump the air out. Just need to buy some jars and those two things and you're all set. About as easy as it gets. I started doing this for hops but I now use it all the time for other things in the kitchen.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #18
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for those links. Followed them and looked at the setup. Does the device stay attached to the jar after you've pulled he vacume or do you somehow get a regular canning lid onto the jar in he process?

--------

Beer ----

------

Old 03-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #19
NathPowe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddlethumper View Post
Thanks for those links. Followed them and looked at the setup. Does the device stay attached to the jar after you've pulled he vacume or do you somehow get a regular canning lid onto the jar in he process?
You just put the thin lid piece on the jar, then put the foodsaver attachment over that. Once you've pumped the air out you just pull the foodsaver attachment off - the vacuum seal you've created keeps the lid from coming off with it. Then just screw on the regular canning lid piece thingy (I don't know what it's called...obviously). Sometimes it helps to put 2 of the thin lid things on before you put the foodsaver thing on. Either way, it's super easy - even these 4 sentences make it sound more complicated than it is. Hope this helps. Also beware - once you start buying bulk hops you'll just want to keep buying them. It's awesome.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #20
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Super! Sounds like exactly the way I want to go. A couple guys earlier in the thread were also trying to point me in this direction but I guess I wasn't getting a clear idea of what they were saying. Those links helped a lot.

I appreciate the help!

--------

Beer ----

------

Quick Reply