Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Store bottles on their side??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Noz03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Default Store bottles on their side??

Quick question, is it ok to store freshly bottled beer on its side for a few weeks to a month?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 13

The yeast is going to compact to the side of the bottle initially which might be weird, but I would assume the bottles would still carbonate and I don't think there would be any serious issues to doing so.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2259 Times on 1968 Posts
Likes Given: 1697

You want the trub/yeast compacted on the bottom of the bottles,not the side. You'll more easilly pour the trub out with it settled on the side of the bottles. This isn't corked wine we're doing here. They did that to keep the corks from drying out & leaking air into the bottles. Or carbonation out.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I've heard that having them on their side also affects carbonation rate because of the increased surface area on the head space, but the more I think about it the less it makes sense.

I personally have collected a few 24-bottle boxes and store my carbing bottles in them so I can stack them.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
SoonerDoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Yeah, that's a wine thing. I don't think there's any advantage to doing that with beer but I don't suppose it would hurt anything either. All your yeast will be on the side of the bottle and probably get poured in with your beer. If you are okay with that, go ahead. It makes more sense to store them upright though.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
Noz03
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Actually the reason wasnt anything to do with corking or anything like that, just that I have run out of space and am thinking to keep my next batch under my bed. Yeah, I know it sounds like a strange place to keep beer haha... but they obviously wont stand up under there :/ Also a good amount of them at in 2.5L soda bottles.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
BrutalBrew
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noz03 View Post
Actually the reason wasnt anything to do with corking or anything like that, just that I have run out of space and am thinking to keep my next batch under my bed. Yeah, I know it sounds like a strange place to keep beer haha... but they obviously wont stand up under there :/ Also a good amount of them at in 2.5L soda bottles.
Im thinking it would be fine, when it gets close to time for drinking them just swirl the beer around to pick up the trub and then cold crash in the fridge for a week sitting upright. I bet it would settle to bottom and be fine. Never done this but sounds like it would be ok.

Foster's Isn't fermented in a kangaroo's pouch?

Old 04-25-2013, 12:30 AM   #8
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 758

My only concern is that more surface of your beer will be in contact with the air...accelerating oxidation. This might not be a great difference but its something to consider. And since you have to eventually put them upright to let them settle, why not from the start?

Is their some advantage/easier storage option by keeping them this way, I assume that if you are containing them, its easier to put them upright and stack or organize them that way

Old 04-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I store beer on its side in some wine racks I had before getting int homebrewing. Seems to work fine for me. I do carb them standing up in cases before moving to the wine rack. The yeast collects in a corner of the bottom of the bottle.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #10
Beergazzi
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts View Post
My only concern is that more surface of your beer will be in contact with the air...accelerating oxidation.
Wouldn't there be CO2 under the O no matter the angle of the bottle??

Quick Reply