Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Store Advice Wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #1
WriterWriter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Store Advice Wrong?

Hey folks,

Seemingly great LHBS here. Nice folks, wide selection of equipment. But one thing the gentleman helping us said didn't seem right. The kit my friend bought came with a bucket and glass carboy. The man said to brew the mix (Cooper's kit) in the bucket for 5-7 days and take a hydrometer reading as you're supposed to do. Then we're to transfer the brew into the fermenter. Typically 1-2-3 style.

But there is no airlock on the bucket -- only the carboy. There's plenty of space on the bucket and he said standard practice is just to rest the lid on the bucket -- not sealing -- and that will do it.

True? Not true? Dodgy? I'm confused. I was under the impression there was always supposed to be an airlock on any fermenter.

-WW

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

That will work. It's not how I do it (I have an airlock hole on my bucket lid) but it'll work like that. As long as the co2 is coming out, you're safe from worrying about contamination. If it makes you feel better, though, you can drill a little hole for an airlock in the bucket lid, and put the lid down tightly. That's probably what I would do, to be honest. But I'm pretty anal about stuff like that.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Not uncommon advice but I agree completely with Yooper. I think it's more common in other countries to use a open (loose) lid but it will work. OTOH, it's easy to drill a hole and buy a grommet.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
FxdGrMind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One Qusetion... Did they have lids and Stoppers and them fancy air locks in the previous Century's?? Hey as long as it' works... who's to judge? I say Wing it...

Ok take this post with a grain of salt... I have tomorrow off and subsequently have hit the tap and don't care =)

Old 02-10-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
Jif
Recipes 

Charlie Papazian suggests that "open type" fermenting in a bucket in the Joy of Homebrewing. Doesn't seem like bad advice at all.

Nonetheless, I always use airlocks or blowoff tubes.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #6
WriterWriter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks folks,

But see what I find strange is that the kit comes with the glass carboy....and an airlock! So why would they advocate one but not the other? Risk of the exploding glass?

Old 02-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #7
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterWriter View Post
Thanks folks,

But see what I find strange is that the kit comes with the glass carboy....and an airlock! So why would they advocate one but not the other? Risk of the exploding glass?
Because the bucket has a lid. The co2 can escape through a loose seal on the lid without anything else getting in. You could arguably stick a piece of tinfoil over the carboy lid if you fit it loosely, but the less oxygen that can get in the better.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterWriter View Post
Thanks folks,

No, because once it's in the carboy it's about done anyway. I guess it's just the way they do it- it's not wrong. It's just not as common as using an airlock. Of course, by not using an airlock with a tight lid, they also are not ever in need of a blow off tube, or had a fermenter lid explode off and paint the ceiling brown. So, maybe they really are on to something!

I'd say to do whichever makes you the most comfortable with the process.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #9
WriterWriter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
hichever makes you the most comfortable with the process.
Fair enough. Personally, I've only been brewing with the Mr. Beer kit for the last few months (moving soon and will buy real equipment) and so when my buddy wanted to get started brewing I was somewhat confident I knew what I was doing, thanks in part to this site.

Just wanted to make sure I didn't get him the wrong advice! My plan is to let him try out the primary/secondary deal for a while, and then let him decide if he just wants to stay on the primary for future batches.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:44 AM   #10
nakros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

FWIW, I bought a "beginners kit" from a store here, containing about what you said. The primary (larger than 6 gallons.. Probably closer to 7 or 7.5, I would guess) is quite tall and comes with a loose-fitting lid -- It snaps in place, but doesn't create an air-tight seal.

I've made 3 batches of delicious beer in it so far, so I don't think it's a problem at all.

Quick Reply