The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stopper M.I.A.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #1
machowsk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stopper M.I.A.

On Sunday I was transferring some beer from my primary bucket to my secondary carboy. Everything was going fine until I attached the airlock to the stopper and then insterted the stopper into the carboy. I guess I pushed too hard, and the stopper went all the way into the carboy, and though I carefully tried to extract it with the airlock, it fell into the beer. I quickly covered the carboy's opening with some plastic wrap as a temporary stop-gap, drove to the homebrew store and bought a second carboy stopper (this time one with a lip that should prevent it from ever slipping in.) Went home, sanitized the new stopper and sealed the carboy. My question is, once I bottle the beer and the carboy is no longer used, how can I get the old stopper out? I have to assume this has happened to many other people before.... Since the stopper was sanitized, I'm assuming the beer won't be ruined, but am I wrong?

Thanks in advance
-Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 02:18 AM   #2
Sasquatch

Recipes 

There's a pile of threads about this... do a search. My method involves getting a dish towel wrapped around the stopper, and yanking it out.

Primary: Lager

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 05-09-2006, 10:05 PM   #3
Radarbrew
Recipes 

Location: Alaska, Honey, there's a moose on the back porch again!
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

After the brew is gone get a coat hanger, make a small hook, grab the stopper through the hole from small end to large, and with a bit of moisture, and a steady pull it should come out.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:48 AM   #4
machowsk
Recipes 

Alrighty, I'll give that a try when the beer's done in a few weeks. Thanks for the help

Quick Reply