Stoped Fermenting after 24 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris1024

Reaction score
Re-hydrated the SafaleS #04) as per instructions on packet made a starter of 800 ml.
And left it on the heated stirplate for 24 hours at 72 f
Pitched it into wort sg 1064 this was Tuesday midday there was no lag time the brew was bubbling away within 1 hour very fast. Wednesday afternoon all stopped no activity .
Took a reading 1030 I am using Beer Smith and the estimated FG is 1013.
No bad smells and tasted ok I was expecting it to be a bit stronger.
Do I have to live with this or can I pitch some more yeast in or something.
:mug:

Leave it a day or so, check again. If it's still the same check your temperature, give it a shake if needed .

Check the next day then if needed repitch, but you should want to know what killed the yeast.

I agree with the first two reponses...it's a common mistake to think that no airlock activity..aka bubbling...means no fermentation is going on. In fact, my primary fermenting bucket has been used so much that the gases often escape out through the lid seal and not the airlock, especially when fermentation slows down.
Give it some time and take a hydrometer reading later in the week.

Thanks guys for your quick response I was a bit paranoid all my other brews took 3 or 4 days to get down to 1014 or so but with a lot more bubbling I have never had a yeast starter work so quickly as this brew. They usually takes 8 or 9 hours for my other beers to start to ferment.
I will get of my high lader come down to earth and try to ignore it for a few days.
And hope for the best

Just to let you know it has started bubbling today not fast but it is working.
i gave it a little shake up.
I checked my temps I keep records of them starter 21.5c wort 21.6c the only thing I did was
I only aerated the wort 3 times i.e. bin to bin at about 2 feet instead of 6 times just a thought.
Anyway thanks again
Orfy nice web page must have been a great holiday in Africa.

Back