Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stone and the difference a yeast makes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 02:48 AM   #1
rpatton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stone and the difference a yeast makes

In my attempt to better understand homebrewing, I've been reading more and keep coming across info about how much a difference yeast can make to the taste. Then today I saw a new brew from Stone, "Cali-Belgique" (also know as Cali-Belgie). This proves the point perfectly - it is simply the Stone IPA but with one difference: a Belgian yeast is used. Side by side you can tell the clear difference. Anyway, for a beginner it was certainly interesting to be able to test this using readily available beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2010, 03:07 AM   #2
indeedproceed
Recipes 

I'm about to get my own lesson. I ordered the Petite Saison d'Ete Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains but this time instead of getting the dry safale I went with the wyeast french saison. I paid my extra 4.99 and I'm hoping to see a real difference.

Motto: A $100 shine on a $3 pair of shoes.

Bucket Primary: Dry Irish Stout
Carboy Secondary:
Other Bucket Primary:
Conditioning in Bottles:
Drinking: Nothin. But the Petite Saison D'Ete from NB was good.

Planned:

Old 05-31-2010, 04:07 AM   #3
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeedproceed View Post
I'm about to get my own lesson. I ordered the Petite Saison d'Ete Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains but this time instead of getting the dry safale I went with the wyeast french saison. I paid my extra 4.99 and I'm hoping to see a real difference.
Good call. Pretty much everything that makes a saison a saison is derived from the yeast.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Ive done the same with my Extra PA recipe. Its a simple recipe and I did an easy switch with the yeast from 1056 to 1272. In my next batch I'm planning on trying it with a 1318 or a 1335.

I'm also trying to do the same with hops but the schedules seem to vary too much so I've been sticking to very similar recipes but using single hops.

I want to make my own recipes, but in order for me to do that I need to understand the ingredients. Plus there is no downside, I get to drink my testing material

Old 05-31-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
tozebeach
Recipes 

I tried out this philosophy this past weekend. I brewed a "Summer Buzz" clone recipe that I've heard good things about. Only I used Weinstephan 3068 yeast instead of the White Lab Cali Ale yeast. Also left out the lemon zest because I don't like citrus in my hefes. I think I'm gonna end up with a Honey/banana wheat beer. Should be interesting..

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/view...hp?f=4&t=18916

Old 06-01-2010, 02:52 AM   #6
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The a-ha moment for me with yeast was a starter for a Stout made with some liquid Irish Stout yeast. I drank the liquid that I had decanted off the top of the starter, and it tasted really Guinness-like, even though it was pale and hopless.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:41 AM   #7
indeedproceed
Recipes 

BTW Checked out inside my primary after a week. Like i said, first time using wyeast, its a french saison..also used late addition method with the extract. Never had a better looking or better smelling beer after a week. Fighting all my instincts to transfer it to the glass carboy to get a proper look at the girl..trying to give the yeast more time to "clean up after themselves" before I ruin the soup.

Motto: A $100 shine on a $3 pair of shoes.

Bucket Primary: Dry Irish Stout
Carboy Secondary:
Other Bucket Primary:
Conditioning in Bottles:
Drinking: Nothin. But the Petite Saison D'Ete from NB was good.

Planned:

Old 03-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #8
adc123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

2nd brew with 3711, the starter tastes amazing.

Quick Reply