Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stirred my Wort on Third Day

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
StuOhQ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Stirred my Wort on Third Day

I'm generally freaking out now. I'm a complete beginner and started my first brew from a Brewer's Best kit. The prep and pitch went smoothly and airlock activity started the next morning. Then, after two days, the activity in the airlock stopped.

Being a complete newbie, I opened up my primary and stirred the wort vigorously to try and "restart" fermentation. Later, I read this could completely ruin my beer. It seems to have renewed the airlock activity, though, and I am planning on taking my first gravity reading (post OG) a little later.

How, and when, will I know if I ruined this batch? Is there any way to tell before bottling? Will the SG keep moving even if the beer has been "oxidized"?

Any help would be awesome. I'm really bummed that I messed up so badly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
CKing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

By opening up and stirring you exposed the beer to oxygen so you may end up with a sub-par result.
Many normal beers have airlock activity subside to a casual burp after 2-3 days of vigorous activity.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
GravyTrain77
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKing View Post
By opening up and stirring you exposed the beer to oxygen so you may end up with a sub-par result.
Many normal beers have airlock activity subside to a casual burp after 2-3 days of vigorous activity.
Once the airlock stops after the first few days... what exactly is happening?

Old 11-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
mandobud16
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You should be ok... Oxidation won't affect the fermentation process. However, it can produce some off flavors. RDWHAHB.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
StuOhQ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandobud16 View Post
You should be ok... Oxidation won't affect the fermentation process. However, it can produce some off flavors. RDWHAHB.
Oh, good. I'm planning on giving away a few sixers for Christmas haha. My family is going to love me

Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 714 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyTrain77 View Post
Once the airlock stops after the first few days... what exactly is happening?
While the yeast have plenty of malt sugars they eat them and excrete alcohol, CO2 and a host of other byproducts. Once the malt sugars are gone there is no more CO2 produced but the yeast continue to break down the byproducts into more alcohol. This also clears up some off flavors. Don't be in a rush to do anything with your beer. Give the yeast all the time they need to create a good beer.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
GravyTrain77
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
While the yeast have plenty of malt sugars they eat them and excrete alcohol, CO2 and a host of other byproducts. Once the malt sugars are gone there is no more CO2 produced but the yeast continue to break down the byproducts into more alcohol. This also clears up some off flavors. Don't be in a rush to do anything with your beer. Give the yeast all the time they need to create a good beer.
I don't have anything for secondary yet so it's just sitting in the same bucket for approaching 2 weeks. (irish red from midwest) Is it possible to let it ferment for too long? Instructions say 2 weeks then bottle.
I know following the directions word for word can lead to not having much fun... but this is just my first batch. Still learning tons

Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Anytime you introduce anything to the wort below a certain temperature you have the possibility of infection. Once mine is in the fermenter I leave it totally alone except to check and make sure the airlock still have liquid in it. Don't worry though, because we all panic at some time during our first brew or two. It is usually in this panic stage that we do something we wish we hadn't. Beer is pretty resilient stuff. It may not taste as good as it could, but a slightly off beer you made yourself, still beats a lot of what others call beer.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
pgrebus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 34

No worries about leaving the beer in primary for longer than 2 weeks - this is probably the minimum time for the recipe. If you want to use SCIENCE, check the gravity daily, and bottle when it stops changing. This will tell you that the yeast has fermented as much as it can.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1912 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 1415

What you experienced was the completion of initial fermentation. That's the vigorous fermentation with lots of bubbles & krausen at the beginning. After that,it slows down & uneventfully creeps down to FG. But with all the vigorous stirring,you may'eve oxygenated it,as was stated. But leave it in primary & it'll finish fermenting,then clean up by products & settle out clear or slightly misty after FG is reached. It usually takes 3-7 days.

Quick Reply