Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > it still tastes bad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #51
togodoug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierHerr View Post
Yes, but you said you only used it for half of the water. Don't mix your waters, just use 100% RO Filtered, Deionized, or Distilled water all from the same company.

I recommend rehydrating your yeast. See here for more info on that.
thanks a lot. This is all good info. My OR water is in a 5 gal jug, so I used half of that in the boil, then used distilled to cool the boil just because I thought I should use distilled and its in 1 gal jugs so I can chill it. I also am not sure I trust the companies that make the 5 gallon drinking water here. They start with tap water, which is salty and loaded with lime.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 01:43 AM   #52
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by togodoug View Post
thanks a lot. This is all good info. My OR water is in a 5 gal jug, so I used half of that in the boil, then used distilled to cool the boil just because I thought I should use distilled and its in 1 gal jugs so I can chill it. I also am not sure I trust the companies that make the 5 gallon drinking water here. They start with tap water, which is salty and loaded with lime.
I presume the distilled is more expensive, but I think it would be worth it to use just the distilled since you don't trust the RO maker. Reverse Osmosis systems do require cleaning and care or they will fail, if its a small shop doing it, then you might be right.

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:46 AM   #53
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierHerr View Post
I presume the distilled is more expensive, but I think it would be worth it to use just the distilled since you don't trust the RO maker. Reverse Osmosis systems do require cleaning and care or they will fail, if its a small shop doing it, then you might be right.
I agree. Because of boiloff, etc, you may need to purchase 6 gallons of distilled water. but I think it would be worth it if you can figure out why the bad taste. You're using quality beer kits, you'll be using quality yeast, and the only variable is the water. Bad water= bad beer. Always. Chlorine causes a "plastic" or clove taste, but there are other flavors too from water.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:55 AM   #54
dirtyjerz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Here's something I haven't seen asked.

Have you or do you use the pot you boil in for anything other then brewing beer?

One of my buddies brewed a batch and later when it should have been ready to drink it had that same off taste I think you are tasting. It ends up that his 10 gallon pot was used to deep fry turkeys at one point and I wonder how much that would effect the integrity of the pot and being able to clean it properly. I don't know if it would do anything. I just don't cook other things in my brew pots so there's no chance of something causing off flavors from the very first step.

The Walmart by me has Distilled water for 78 cents a gallon, Drinking and spring water for 88 cents. But they also have 2.5 gallons of Poland Spring for $2.50. The last time I bought 6 1 gallon jugs. This time I picked up 2, 2.5 gallon ones because I really don't need 6 more containers taking up my recycling containers and helping to snuff out the planet. lol

-----------------------------
HEY...That kangaroo stole my ball!

Old 04-05-2011, 02:08 AM   #55
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerz View Post
Here's something I haven't seen asked.

Have you or do you use the pot you boil in for anything other then brewing beer?

One of my buddies brewed a batch and later when it should have been ready to drink it had that same off taste I think you are tasting. It ends up that his 10 gallon pot was used to deep fry turkeys at one point and I wonder how much that would effect the integrity of the pot and being able to clean it properly. I don't know if it would do anything. I just don't cook other things in my brew pots so there's no chance of something causing off flavors from the very first step.

The Walmart by me has Distilled water for 78 cents a gallon, Drinking and spring water for 88 cents. But they also have 2.5 gallons of Poland Spring for $2.50. The last time I bought 6 1 gallon jugs. This time I picked up 2, 2.5 gallon ones because I really don't need 6 more containers taking up my recycling containers and helping to snuff out the planet. lol
the pot is only for brew. The RO WATER is $2 for 5 gal. The distilled is $2.50 per gallon

Old 04-05-2011, 02:16 AM   #56
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
the pot is only for brew. The RO WATER is $2 for 5 gal. The distilled is $2.50 per gallon
OUCH! That's a lot. In the US, it's under $1 a gallon.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:10 AM   #57
McDingleberry
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I see a lot of people talking about using distilled/RO water. I always thought that was a bad idea, because the disolved minerals will affect the taste and mouthfeel of the beer, and RO/DI water has no minerals at all. After a quick look, I found a couple of articles.

http://www.beer-brewing.com/beer-bre...wing_water.htm

http://www.beer-brewing.com/beer-bre...adjustment.htm

http://www.brew-monkey.com/articles/waterarticle.php

Old 04-05-2011, 03:11 AM   #58
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Any other sources for RO water besides your current supplier? If not, you may have to bite the bullet once for the distilled so you can determine if water is the problem.

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

Old 04-05-2011, 03:14 AM   #59
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDingleberry View Post
I see a lot of people talking about using distilled/RO water. I always thought that was a bad idea, because the disolved minerals will affect the taste and mouthfeel of the beer, and RO/DI water has no minerals at all. After a quick look, I found a couple of articles.

http://www.beer-brewing.com/beer-bre...wing_water.htm

http://www.beer-brewing.com/beer-bre...adjustment.htm

http://www.brew-monkey.com/articles/waterarticle.php
He's using extract, which has already been mashed. Distilled water or RO water is fine!

Old 04-05-2011, 03:20 AM   #60
McDingleberry
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
He's using extract, which has already been mashed. Distilled water or RO water is fine!
Ahhh. I didn't realize that.

Quick Reply