Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > it still tastes bad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 01:01 AM   #41
joetothemo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by togodoug View Post
thanks.As to point 3, I've used one 5 oz pack of Muton, could that betoo little and not good yeast?
5 Grams? Yes. That is an underpitch.

In Primary:
Amarillo Pale Ale
A Stout I brewed for a guy as a lesson

In Bottles:
Jamil's Belgian Tripel
Centennial Pale Ale

On Draft:
Imperial Red Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 01:02 AM   #42
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
thanks and yes I had two threads under two different topics. I am Desperate!
I willl go with SAFALE yeast when it arrives. Thoughts on dry pitching or rehydrating it first?
What is OR water?The water I used claims to use sediment filtration, ion exchanger, activated carbon filtration, revers osmosis, ozonation and ultra violate sterilization.
"RO Water" is water that has been filtered through a reverse osmosis system. You are looking for water with very little to no mineral content. It sounds like the water your using has that, but as I said, it needs to be for all of your water not just half of it.

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:03 AM   #43
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4666 Times on 3390 Posts
Likes Given: 920

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetothemo View Post
5 Grams? Yes. That is an underpitch.
Yes, and not only that, "Munton's" is the worst yeast you could use. Cooper's would be the second-worse. Try a good quality dry yeast if you can get one- like nottingham (Danstar), Safale s04 or S05, and try to keep the fermentation temperature (and pitching temperature) under 70 degrees.

I still think it's the water. Beer is 90% water, and it's the biggest part of the flavor. could you try a batch with 100% distilled/RO purchased water and see if that fixes the problem?

Old 04-05-2011, 01:04 AM   #44
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here - but banana-like flavors are typically caused by something going on during fermentation... Different yeasts can and will impact this, but most banana flavors I've heard of have been related to too-warm fermentation temps.

How confident are you that the fermenter is really staying around 65? I'm going to go out on a limb and say the bad bananas flavor probably came from one of the earlier batches; you did mention those fermented around 80, right?

Bottom line, if you're confident that you're keeping the temp consistently around 65, I'd definitely look to something other than muntons yeast - Safale makes a good variety of quality dry yeasts, and none of them have done me wrong yet, while I've heard mixed reviews on Munton's.
I'm real sure I'm keeping the fermenting below 70, about 62 to 68. I check the temp in the cooler which holds the fermenter 3 times a day. I willl go with SAFALE yeast when it arrives. Thoughts on dry pitching or rehydrating it first?
The water I used claims to use sediment filtration, ion exchanger, activated carbon filtration, revers osmosis, ozonation and ultra violate sterilization. I can get distilled and have used that mixed with the drinking water 50/50

Reason: bad spelling

Old 04-05-2011, 01:04 AM   #45
tchuklobrau
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I cant say as to if it is good yeast as I have never used muton's yeast. A freind of mine used it once and says he will never use it again. wish i could help more there.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:09 AM   #46
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Yes, and not only that, "Munton's" is the worst yeast you could use. Cooper's would be the second-worse. Try a good quality dry yeast if you can get one- like nottingham (Danstar), Safale s04 or S05, and try to keep the fermentation temperature (and pitching temperature) under 70 degrees.

I still think it's the water. Beer is 90% water, and it's the biggest part of the flavor. could you try a batch with 100% distilled/RO purchased water and see if that fixes the problem?
Thanks I willl go with SAFALE yeast when it arrives. Thoughts on dry pitching or rehydrating it first?
What is OR water?The water I used claims to use sediment filtration, ion exchanger, activated carbon filtration, revers osmosis, ozonation and ultra violate sterilization.
I can get several brands of bottled water and distilled. Recomondations?

Old 04-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #47
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierHerr View Post
"RO Water" is water that has been filtered through a reverse osmosis system. You are looking for water with very little to no mineral content. It sounds like the water your using has that, but as I said, it needs to be for all of your water not just half of it.
he water I use claims to be OR

Old 04-05-2011, 01:15 AM   #48
joetothemo
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Thanks I willl go with SAFALE yeast when it arrives. Thoughts on dry pitching or rehydrating it first?
I can get several brands of bottled water and distilled. Recomondations?
My beer jumped up a notch when I started doing 3 things:
  • Using Safale US-05 (Washing it, reusing it and making appropriate starters)
  • Charcoal filtering and pre-boiling my water
  • Learning a little patience (still working on this one)

In Primary:
Amarillo Pale Ale
A Stout I brewed for a guy as a lesson

In Bottles:
Jamil's Belgian Tripel
Centennial Pale Ale

On Draft:
Imperial Red Ale

Old 04-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #49
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
he water I use claims to be OR
Yes, but you said you only used it for half of the water. Don't mix your waters, just use 100% RO Filtered, Deionized, or Distilled water all from the same company.

I recommend rehydrating your yeast. See here for more info on that.

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #50
XXguy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The only part I've got to add is that living on an island like Saipan, I'd be wondering if the local "drinking water" place was keeping the Reverse Osmosis system serviced & maintained like they should - ie:changing out filters & membranes at regular intervals.

I'd try getting water from another source - or preboiling the water prior to using it for brewing.

You might want to see how they test the water - if the Water Station is keeping up on stuff, they should be testing the water regularly & replacing the membrane when Total Dissolved Solids start to inch up.

Good luck with it.

Quick Reply