Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > it still tastes bad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #211
Evan_L
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 60

How much splashing occurs when you siphon?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 03:25 AM   #212
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_L View Post
How much splashing occurs when you siphon?
I have had some air in the syphon hose, not much splashing.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #213
Pommy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm sure this has all been said before but it sounds like an infection to me. Have you tried getting a FV? It can take a white for infection to show, if you store your bottled beer for a long time do you get gushers? If all these have been asked previously just ignore.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 AM   #214
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
I'm sure this has all been said before but it sounds like an infection to me. Have you tried getting a FV? It can take a white for infection to show, if you store your bottled beer for a long time do you get gushers? If all these have been asked previously just ignore.
I don't know what FV means, nor what gushers are. I've stored some beer for about a year and it still is fine. A batch starts bad, turns bad in 3 weeks, or is fine for a long time.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #215
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by togodoug View Post
as far as I can tell, I sanatize well. If not, why could it be good in bottles for 3 weeks and then go bad. Why would ALL bottles be bad and not just some?
I can't be dead certain why it's good for a week or so and then suddenly around the three week stage it starts to taste bad but that does seem like something that would happen if an infection had taken hold of the batch.

Did you have a few batches between March and this one that ended up tasting fine all the way 'til you finished the last bottles??

The following isn't scientifically supported with any experience or evidence but, I wonder if it could be some form of wild yeast that is capable of high concentration in really warm and humid climates? Just exposure at bottling time being enough for this yeast to contaminate the brew. If so that might explain why the whole batch is affected and not just a few bottles. Although I'd have thought that the alcohol content of the beer should prevent a wild yeast being able to get hold of the batch.

You don't mill grains in the same place as you bottle your beer by any chance, do you?

Really hope you can get to the root of this problem and start enjoying your beer.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #216
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by togodoug View Post
I have had some air in the syphon hose, not much splashing.
If it seems like you should have no air in the hose, but then get some, it could be some CO2 coming out of the beer as you rack to bottle.

I have noticed that an infection can develope over the finishing of the beer, so having good at 1 week and then bad at 3 makes sense to me. If your carb is typically good at 1 week, I suggest you look at stove top pasturizing to kill everything in your bottles again. That should at least lengthen the time before it goes bad (boiling doesn't kill everything, but comes close).

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy...g-pics-193295/

Old 12-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #217
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 281

after reading through this thread, i feel like it must be the water or the yeast. those are the two things that seem to be the same batch after batch.

i had an astrigent taste in two beers. both were dark english beers and english yeasts fermented in the upper 60s to low 70s. lower temps or using a different yeast (like s-05) fixed the problem. the tastes did fade after a while, but it was a long while, like 12+ weeks after bottling.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #218
aceparadis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Change your sanitizer, sounds like your not rinse throughly enough.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #219
woody34
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

I would stop using dish soap to clean ur bottles.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #220
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
after reading through this thread, i feel like it must be the water or the yeast. those are the two things that seem to be the same batch after batch.

i had an astrigent taste in two beers. both were dark english beers and english yeasts fermented in the upper 60s to low 70s. lower temps or using a different yeast (like s-05) fixed the problem. the tastes did fade after a while, but it was a long while, like 12+ weeks after bottling.
I've used severla different waters and use s-05

Quick Reply