New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > it still tastes bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #151
togodoug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
That would be awesome but not practical someday I will get to the mariana islands. I do believe it is infection but lets all look at another angle here. could we all be thinking about infection when maybe it's high levels of phenols or esters or maybe diacetyl or tannin extraction. bad taste isnt always infection could be other factors in the process effecting the outcome and if bad habits follow through beer to beer than you have consistantly bad beer.
Okay, lets assume one of those. What do I do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 03:41 AM   #152
chezzesteak
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have been having the same problem and I am going to change my water set up but can anybody give some insight into oxidation...like when you rack it it splash and such. I think that could also be one of my problems..and maybe some of the OPers

Old 10-17-2011, 04:51 AM   #153
Pommy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I could be wrong here but Im pretty sure that unless you are intentionally aerating your beer before bottling then oxidation would take a lot longer to ruin the beer. My instinct is still saying that unless you are making a basic error in your process (which would make bad beer, not good for a short time beer) you have an infection in your equipment. Try soaking with bleach or something similar which will kill anything trying to live on your equipment, then wash it all down, sanitise as you normally would and see what happens on the next brew. Just my 2c.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #154
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
That would be awesome but not practical someday I will get to the mariana islands. I do believe it is infection but lets all look at another angle here. could we all be thinking about infection when maybe it's high levels of phenols or esters or maybe diacetyl or tannin extraction. bad taste isnt always infection could be other factors in the process effecting the outcome and if bad habits follow through beer to beer than you have consistantly bad beer.
Thanks again to all
From what I read, the taste of tannin extraction is about right. But I steep for 30 min or less and never above 165 degrees. Also I would think this would show up immediately, not hide until day 10 in the bottle.
Diacetyl is like a butter flavor I’ve read. This I don’t think is it. Also, I read the cure would be to let the beer sit longer in the fermenter. Mine is in for 3 weeks, over 21 days, so I think this is not it.
Phenols taste medicine like. That’s not it I don’t think and its bacteria caused anyway, so if it is it, we are back to sanitation anyway.
Esters is caused by high fermentation temp. Although I have fermented batches in the low 80s, I can now control the temp, and have for several batches including this last one which was good for 10 days, in the mid to upper 60s.
I’m still looking for advise. This is frustrating and I really want to make this work. I am determined, someone else may say obsessed, but that one good 10 day batch really gave me hope.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #155
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Don't remember seeing any reference to this so far in this thread so thought I'd ask anyway. Have you actually tried cold conditioning, chilling those beers in the fridge for a week or longer?

Old 10-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #156
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
Don't remember seeing any reference to this so far in this thread so thought I'd ask anyway. Have you actually tried cold conditioning, chilling those beers in the fridge for a week or longer?
No. they were good from day 3 to 10 after being in low 70s and in the fridge for 3 to 24 hours depending on the bottle

Old 10-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #157
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Mate, I reckon you should take a couple of bottles and shoot for at least a week in the fridge. I noticed a reasonable bit of a difference, in my inaugural nut brown ale, between 30 hours and about 80 hours in the fridge so I've got a couple in there now to see how they are after a week.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #158
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Mate, I reckon you should take a couple of bottles and shoot for at least a week in the fridge. I noticed a reasonable bit of a difference, in my inaugural nut brown ale, between 30 hours and about 80 hours in the fridge so I've got a couple in there now to see how they are after a week.
so if its bad tasting I

Old 10-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #159
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
so if its bad tasting I chill a good beer gone bad and it will be good again?

Old 10-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #160
2brew1cup
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Never put ice directly into your wort!!

underground and under the influence

Breakers of the world, Unite!

Quick Reply