Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > it still tastes bad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 12:56 AM   #141
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Not to sure I like the sponge idea. Sponges are very porous and even though you soak it in sanitizer I would fear that there is a still a high probability of nasties living through the soaking. Another good exammple of this is when using a scratched plastic bucket to ferment in, all the sanitizer in the world won't touch a little scratch.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2011, 04:24 AM   #142
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So it seems most folks thinkits not aging temp. but infection at botteling that takes a few weeks to show itself. Before many people suggested water, which I changed and it seemed to solve the problem, at least for the first 10 days.
So water was not the issue? Still sanitation?

Old 10-16-2011, 05:12 AM   #143
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
Not to sure I like the sponge idea. Sponges are very porous and even though you soak it in sanitizer I would fear that there is a still a high probability of nasties living through the soaking. Another good exammple of this is when using a scratched plastic bucket to ferment in, all the sanitizer in the world won't touch a little scratch.
Stop by, have a pint and tell me what is wrong!
most people seem to think its a sanitation issue.
If not, could it ageing temp? Something else

Old 10-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #144
Pommy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

ageing temp isnt going to make the beer taste bad unless your doing something really weird which I doubt. Oxidation would take longer to show up. Its either infection or extract twang which is covered by hops for the first few weeks. 4 weeks sounds about right for how long it generally takes for the hop aroma to fade in my beers. Sorry I havent read the whole thread but have you brewed a stout, a pale ale. How do different styles compare?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #145
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've brew pale ale, irish red, ESB, a few anber ales. They all have it. This last really nice hoppy pale ale as I said was 10 days in the bottle before showing. Smelled and Tasted very good until 10 days. All others wer obviousat bottling. All but one irish red which was good.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #146
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

i think you have to find a good sanitizer besides one step. as a last resort a bleach solution would be better than one step but be sure to get the concentration right so you don't have a "bleach in my beer" problem.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #147
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use Iodophor sanatizer. I thought aging was best at about 4 weeks, then its good forever. Now I hear extract twang could make extract beer bad in under three weeks?

Old 10-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #148
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by togodoug
I use Iodophor sanatizer. I thought aging was best at about 4 weeks, then its good forever. Now I hear extract twang could make extract beer bad in under three weeks?
I've brewed about 20 5-gal batches, every one of them extract/partial mash. Once I improved my sanitation & got fermentation temp control, my beers began to taste as clean and as good as professional beers.

In my experience (and I believe I saw Revvy write something similar recently), "extract twang" is another hangover from the early years of home brewing that is being dismissed like autolysis... and is probably an excuse for poor beer by people who are not sure what the real problem(s) may be.

Just my $.02

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #149
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by togodoug View Post
Stop by, have a pint and tell me what is wrong!
most people seem to think its a sanitation issue.
If not, could it ageing temp? Something else
That would be awesome but not practical someday I will get to the mariana islands. I do believe it is infection but lets all look at another angle here. could we all be thinking about infection when maybe it's high levels of phenols or esters or maybe diacetyl or tannin extraction. bad taste isnt always infection could be other factors in the process effecting the outcome and if bad habits follow through beer to beer than you have consistantly bad beer.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 10-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #150
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
I've brewed about 20 5-gal batches, every one of them extract/partial mash. Once I improved my sanitation & got fermentation temp control, my beers began to taste as clean and as good as professional beers.

In my experience (and I believe I saw Revvy write something similar recently), "extract twang" is another hangover from the early years of home brewing that is being dismissed like autolysis... and is probably an excuse for poor beer by people who are not sure what the real problem(s) may be.

Just my $.02
Thanks. so what do I do? Have you had bad batches, if so, what were they like? Mine are drinkable by some standards but they all have that same bite / astringent / sour thing regardless of ingredients, yeast, or water. And as I said I was just beside myself with pride for 10 days when this batch was as good as any beer made anywhere.
I can't say just how clean and crisp it was, with that nice aroma and bite of cascade hops. The head was perfect, any brewer anywhere would have been proud.
So what do I do to get it back and to stay? The only guy I can go to in person says of my other beers, they are fine. But they were not! I noticed a simlar taste in beers he's made, so blamed the water.

Quick Reply