Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > it still tastes bad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 12:30 AM   #121
togodoug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlash View Post
What do you use instead of a sponge? I keep a sponge in the freezer that is only used with oxyclean on buckets/spoons etc..

Here is my info on the aftertaste, as I have it too.

I describe it as a bad bitter, it starts ok, then the after taste is ick. Almost slightly tannin like too..

I've gotten this with extract, and all grain. With Bottled spring water, and with filtered water. Got it doing partial boil on the stove and full electric boil on all grain.

Got it when left in primary over a month, got it after a 3 week primary.

Fermentation is in a 58-60 basement cupboard, so it never gets hot.

My mas temps are good, never high, sometimes low. Gravity all works out great. etc etc etc.

Got it on a pale, an english brown, and an oatmeal to a bit. Liquid yeast, dry yeast.

My only things to try next, better aeration and pitch temp...

I pitch between like 70 and 78 then drop to 58-60.. Think yeast is starting too soon and temp isnt dropping?

Seen a lot of people mention pitch temp should be equal or lower than ferment temp.

So I think that is the main cause of this bitter flavor. Going to pitch at 58 or less and test on a recipe I have already done.
Keep me posted, this could be it, it sounds like it, or it coud be of course what a few others have suggested: sanitation or water, but it sounds like we have done the same things. My current batch I pitched at upper 70s, now fermenting at upper 60s.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #122
cervezarara
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlash View Post
What do you use instead of a sponge? I keep a sponge in the freezer that is only used with oxyclean on buckets/spoons etc..
I keep away from sponges, especially the green scratchy ones (except for bottle label removal) because sponges are notoriously the most bacteria laden surfaces in the average household. Their extremely porous nature makes them virtually impossible to rid of bacteria. And some sponges, particularly the green scratchy ones, will scratch plastic brewing equipment. Even very small scratches in plastic pails, carboys, racking equipment, etc., provide sites for bacteria to hide away and make it harder, if not impossible, to sanitize them properly.

If elbow grease is needed during cleaning, I use a soft cloth on plastic, and then it goes into the washer with other rags and towels. For sanitation, I use a contact sanitizer- Star-San. I keep some in a spray bottle, and if I need a towel to wipe something that will touch the wort, I keep a good quality paper towel soaking in some Star-San for emergencies. Cheap towels degrade and turn to soggy mush. Star-San will sanitize surfaces with about 30 seconds of contact.

Since brew house sanitation does not eliminate all bacteria, but reduces their number to a very low level, a vigorous early ferment with plenty of fresh yeast ensures that your yeast will get a strong foothold and not the other microorganisms that you have reduced to a very low number.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:58 AM   #123
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervezarara View Post
I keep away from sponges, especially the green scratchy ones (except for bottle label removal) because sponges are notoriously the most bacteria laden surfaces in the average household. Their extremely porous nature makes them virtually impossible to rid of bacteria. And some sponges, particularly the green scratchy ones, will scratch plastic brewing equipment. Even very small scratches in plastic pails, carboys, racking equipment, etc., provide sites for bacteria to hide away and make it harder, if not impossible, to sanitize them properly.

If elbow grease is needed during cleaning, I use a soft cloth on plastic, and then it goes into the washer with other rags and towels. For sanitation, I use a contact sanitizer- Star-San. I keep some in a spray bottle, and if I need a towel to wipe something that will touch the wort, I keep a good quality paper towel soaking in some Star-San for emergencies. Cheap towels degrade and turn to soggy mush. Star-San will sanitize surfaces with about 30 seconds of contact.

Since brew house sanitation does not eliminate all bacteria, but reduces their number to a very low level, a vigorous early ferment with plenty of fresh yeast ensures that your yeast will get a strong foothold and not the other microorganisms that you have reduced to a very low number.
Thanks. I'd been using the same sponge and only for beer. I soak it in sanitizer for awhile before using it and leave it in sanitizer when not actually scrubing during my cleaning / sanatizing process. I guess this isn't the way to go although I'd thought I'd kept it sanatized.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:03 AM   #124
TheSlash
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervezarara View Post

Yes thank you! I do starsan and a bit of oxyclean. Time to ditch that sponge!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #125
BackyardHB
Recipes 

How about paper towels?

On Tap- Matty's Irish Red
On Deck- Sterling Blonde
Next Brew- Summer Blonde

Old 05-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #126
zachary80
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A good way to kill the bacteria in your sponges would be to wet them then throw them in the microwave for 4 minutes. That should sterilize them

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/fo...-germs-sponges

Next Batches: Wheat Stout, Quick n Dirty Berliner Weiss, Antithesis Saison du Vin, Split Open and Melt Imperial Stout

Old 05-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #127
BackyardHB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary80
A good way to kill the bacteria in your sponges would be to wet them then throw them in the microwave for 4 minutes. That should sterilize them

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/fo...-germs-sponges
Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

On Tap- Matty's Irish Red
On Deck- Sterling Blonde
Next Brew- Summer Blonde

Old 09-21-2011, 04:38 AM   #128
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It’s the water.
Thanks for all the advise and suggestions. I’d used locally filtered bottled water in the past, its sold as drinking water, we all drink it as tap water is brackish so thought nothing of it. Then I used it only in the boil and topped off with RO water, thinking maybe bacteria in the water not being boiled was the issue. That didn’t seem to help. Last batch was all imported European mountain water. Any bitterness now is due to me having over hopped to cover up the expected, yet non-existent, residual sourness. But I like IPAs so that’s all fine.
Thanks again for all the tips.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #129
TheSlash
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think I solved my taste. Which is the same as yours. The three things I changed.

1. Started pitching at 60.
2. Kept the wort at a constant 64 during first week of fermentation. Not the ambient, but the wort itself.

3. And I think a big one.. OXYGENATING. I don't think shaking was cutting it. Started using pure o2 and a diffusing stone.

I can update once I test this batch that is close to racking. I did a batch like this with wort from Bell's Brewery and the off flavor wasn't in that one.

It wasn't my water at all, but some styles masked it.

So I was pitching a bit warm, only controlling ambient temp, and not getting enough o2 in there!

Old 09-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #130
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by togodoug View Post
It’s the water.
Glad you were able to find some different water to try, and... I told you so! Now hopefully you can find a good source of local water.

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

Quick Reply