Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Still plagued by "THT"... "The Homebrew Taste"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
Brewskier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
Another thing to think about is when was the last time you changed out all of your tubing? I like to change mine out at least every six months, more if I'm doing more batches. They get hot and cold and expand and contract and after a while, the Starsan just doesn't work on them like they used to and you end up with something wrong with your beer and you just can't quite nail it down. I'd change my tubing and brew another batch and see what happens.

Also, use RO/Distilled water instead of spring water and if you're steeping grains, don't go above 2 gallons of steeping water, depending on how many lbs of steeping grains you have.. don't want a PH spike from not enough grains. Once you add your LME/DME then you can top up to 5 gallons and start your boil. I apologize if any of this is terribly obvious to you. Just trying to help out.
I've tried RO/Distilled before, and I don't remember a homebrew taste occurring, but that could be because of something else. I don't see why mountain spring water could cause these flavors, but they might somehow. Thanks for the advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Sometimes with mountain or spring water they add in extra minerals that the body needs. Most of the time these dont affect extract batches because the wort has already been made/mashed and all you're doing is rehydrating. You dont have to worry about how the water will affect the mash when using extract, but it's worth a shot to try it if everything else seems to not be working.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
Brewskier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
Sometimes with mountain or spring water they add in extra minerals that the body needs. Most of the time these dont affect extract batches because the wort has already been made/mashed and all you're doing is rehydrating. You dont have to worry about how the water will affect the mash when using extract, but it's worth a shot to try it if everything else seems to not be working.
Thing is, I can't go straight RO/distilled now because I'm partial mashing. I need minerals for the mash now. I suppose I can get RO and then build my own water profile, but that's the kind of thing that made me abandon all grain in the first place.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
Brewskier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry for the confusion.... I actually forgot that I had two usernames. I'd like to keep "Brewskier" and get rid of "Stein", if possible. How do I do this?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskier View Post
Thing is, I can't go straight RO/distilled now because I'm partial mashing. I need minerals for the mash now. I suppose I can get RO and then build my own water profile, but that's the kind of thing that made me abandon all grain in the first place.
No, you don't. You can use RO water.

If you feel that you absolutely must add something (and you don't) you can add 1 teaspoon calcium chloride per 5 gallons of brewing water in the mash. If you have a 2.5 gallon mash, that's only 1/2 teaspoon of calcium chloride.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion.... I actually forgot that I had two usernames. I'd like to keep "Brewskier" and get rid of "Stein", if possible. How do I do this?
Can you send a PM to TxBrew? He's the admin, and he's the one that could combine/change that for you!

Old 09-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #17
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Have you check out AJ's primer? His advice is 1tsp Calcium Chloride per 5 gallons of RO water and either some phosphoric acid or 2% of the grain bill as acidmalt. Very easy and you can do a couple of easy batches and tweak it from there. I'd not worry about Gypsum at all until I tasted it and really thought it would help. Do you have any way to test your PH during the mash?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #18
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

+1 to aerating/oxygenating your wort before pitching. Yeast without oxygen will get stressed out.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #19
Brewskier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
+1 to aerating/oxygenating your wort before pitching. Yeast without oxygen will get stressed out.
I was never sure how much O2 to give it.... It was usually 45 seconds worth.... is that enough? My friend gets good beer just by transferring the wort from the stock pot to the better bottle through a stainless steel strainer.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #20
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
I was never sure how much O2 to give it.... It was usually 45 seconds worth.... is that enough? My friend gets good beer just by transferring the wort from the stock pot to the better bottle through a stainless steel strainer.
With pure O2, 2 minutes. If shaking it, you can do it for 15-25 minutes. According to the folks at White Labs.

Quick Reply