still no resolve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejericson

Reaction score
as some of you may have been involved in my last thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/another-foamy-keg-thread-318433/

i have an update. My problem has not been fixed and gotten slightly worse.
so today i took everything apart cleaned the whole system and took great care in putting it all back together very solidly thinking i have an air leak, I used plumbers tape on every thread, and cut nice new ends on all the lines and secured well with good hose clamps. And still with no results. My pour is a little on the weak side but still fills the glass nicely once the foam clears away.

i am really getting frustrated cause i'm waisting a lot of beer every time i want one i have to fill an entire glass with foam to get a steady flow of good beer, once i do get a good glass it tastes just right.

so after my work today i noticed a little stream of of tiny bubbles coming up from the coupler through the beer lines after pouring a beer. i dont know if this was there before as i just noticed it today. Is this air or Co2? if this is air it could be the cause of my problem, if so how could this be fixed? any more thought would be greatly appreciated

That sounds a life like it could be your problem if it's streaming bubbles in the line while you pour. If you are getting co2 from inside the keg, or air from outside (not sure how in pressurized system), it could be the cause. Like trying to drink soda through a straw with a crack. Especially if it happened with multiple kegs. Have you tried renting a different coupler just to find out? I assume you have the little rubber washer in place. You would probably be leaking beer if not.

I know it's been said many times in your other thread... But I'm still leaning towards it being over carbonated. It sounds exactly like what happened to me a couple of times when I accidentally over-carbed a couple of kegs.

I too have beer lines that are about 5-6' and my taps run through the door. I've seen that exact thing that you mention where you see bubbles running up the hose from the kegs also. I also got good clean beer in my glass from the portion that wasn't bubbles.

The only way I found to fix it was to relieve the pressure from the keg, shake it, relieve more pressure, shake it some more, and on and on until I hit a lower carb level.
However, that's more work with a sanke coupler.

I don't know how to fix it but when this happens to me I just fill a jug up with beer. You still have to wait a little for you first one, but then all the next ones are good to go.

as some of you may have been involved in my last thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/another-foamy-keg-thread-318433/

i have an update. My problem has not been fixed and gotten slightly worse.
so today i took everything apart cleaned the whole system and took great care in putting it all back together very solidly thinking i have an air leak, I used plumbers tape on every thread, and cut nice new ends on all the lines and secured well with good hose clamps. And still with no results. My pour is a little on the weak side but still fills the glass nicely once the foam clears away.

i am really getting frustrated cause i'm waisting a lot of beer every time i want one i have to fill an entire glass with foam to get a steady flow of good beer, once i do get a good glass it tastes just right.

so after my work today i noticed a little stream of of tiny bubbles coming up from the coupler through the beer lines after pouring a beer. i dont know if this was there before as i just noticed it today. Is this air or Co2? if this is air it could be the cause of my problem, if so how could this be fixed? any more thought would be greatly appreciated

How long are your serving lines? I had the same problem with too short of serving line, went from 8' to 15' and the problem was solved.

I read through a good bit of the other thread and this one.... I know it's been mentioned but I really think it's a beer and line temp issue.

Warmer beer with off-gas faster because it can't hold the CO2 in solution. My one kegerator inside is a dorm-fridge style with a two-tap tower. my first pour is always 1/2 foam. Subsequent pours are perfect. That's because the beer in the line is warmer the further it gets from chiller plate in the back of the fridge. After that pour colder beer is moving up into the lines, fittings, etc. and they cool down enough to make it a stable pour.

I just pour 1/2 a pint. wait for it to settle. drink it, then pour another.

My Kegerator outside in the garage is in a standing fridge with the taps drilled directly into the side. The plumbing is exactly the same. Same connections, same length of line (about 12') etc. as I bought/made both at the same time. I never have a foam issue with that.

Whenever the temp is above 80 in the garage my tap is sweating constantly and is cold to the touch. The taps on the tower on the dorm-fridge are warm to the touch.

I know you chilled a tap. But that didn't chill the lines nor the beer that was sitting in the lines.

Anyway -- lots of good advice in these posts here; I do hope you figure out what it is.

Try turning your fridge temperature up a few degrees. I think you're getting a little chunk of ice in your line/coupler that's agitating the beer as it comes up.

I've had that same problem when my beer got overcarbed. I tried carb bursting and didn't turn it down soon enough. The beer in the keg doesn't have enough resistance at that pressure and the sudden loss of pressure as it's going through the lines and out into the glass causes it to foam like crazy.

My fix was to vent the keg and then shake it up and then vent again (letting it sit a bit so the foam doesn't come gushing out the vent hole.) until the keg is back to normal.

I've used some paint mixing tubes to increase the resistance in the line to allow me to carb higher than normal on the same length of line.

all great knowledgable advice and i appreciate it, but ive tried it all, Tried line lengths at 5' went to 12' 11' 10' at all different pressures relieving the keg in between every change and sometimes just to try it. i really dont think its a temp issue cause after moving the lines into the fridge and coiling them on top of the cool keg it got worse my thought was due to taking something apart... when i pour a good beer after waisting foam/beer it doesnt take but 2 minutes for the pour to be foam again, worse then when i had the lines up in the tower.
im almost ready to go back to buying bottles cause at this rate im not saving any money with the keg...

all great knowledgable advice and i appreciate it, but ive tried it all, Tried line lengths at 5' went to 12' 11' 10' at all different pressures relieving the keg in between every change and sometimes just to try it. i really dont think its a temp issue cause after moving the lines into the fridge and coiling them on top of the cool keg it got worse my thought was due to taking something apart... when i pour a good beer after waisting foam/beer it doesnt take but 2 minutes for the pour to be foam again, worse then when i had the lines up in the tower.
im almost ready to go back to buying bottles cause at this rate im not saving any money with the keg...

That sucks. What kinda taps do you have? I know this is obvious, but have you tried disassembling the shanks and serving lines? Maybe a funny connection is causing this.
I'm also wondering if you're overcarbing, but it seems that you've been troubleshooting this and probably tried carbing to a lower volume already.

ive disassembled everything and cleaned thoroughly. i still think it could be funky connection too, but cannot figure out where, maybe a bunk coupler? that will be my next test but dont want to spend the money when this one is only a few months old...

ive disassembled everything and cleaned thoroughly. i still think it could be funky connection too, but cannot figure out where, maybe a bunk coupler? that will be my next test but dont want to spend the money when this one is only a few months old...

All you can do is keep dinkin' with it. You'll get it figured out. It took me a few months with my kegerator to get everything figured out, so don't get discouraged. :mug:

Coming in late to this and sorry but I did not read your other thread but here are some general tips that you can try if you have not already.

Excessive foaming is caused by CO2 escaping rapidly from the beer. This is caused by:

1. Temperature change of the beer
2. Pouring with excess pressure
3. Over carbonation of the beer
4. Dirty lines

Now temp change in the beer does not seem to be a problem if everything is inside your fridge, but remember that your faucets are not inside the fridge so that can be an issue. If you pour 1 beer and it is foaming like crazy and then pouring a second or third beer immediately after your first beer then that could be your issue. The first beer cools the faucet down enough to allow the rest of the beers to be poured fine. Fix is to raise the temperature of your kegerator.

Pouring with excessive pressure is the line length to balance the system. You can check to see if your system is balance by using this spreadsheet. If your system is balanced then you are good to go. Just to note line length has a lot to do with the ID of your tubing. Also a balanced system you can keep the pressure constant and not have to lower for serving and raise it to keep the beer from going flat.

Over carbonation of your beer will result with every pour even in consecutive pours to have lots of foam. If that happens then your carbing your beer to much. Either do not force carb using high pressure (any pressure above serving) or try lowering your constant pressure you keep your kegs at. Carb your beers based on how they feel not solely based on the guage as they are often off by a little bit.

Dirty lines is pretty self explanatory but since you cleaned them already this should not be an issue. Be sure to check the shanks and faucet as they are technically part of the lines that the beer travels.

Last tip when pouring beer ALWAYS open the faucet completely. A partially opened faucet will cause the beer to foam as it raises the resistance and gives the CO2 a nucleation site to escape the beer.

Hope this helps,

Ed

ill try lowering the pressure as i am going out of town for a few days, see if there is any change when i get home

ill try lowering the pressure as i am going out of town for a few days, see if there is any change when i get home

If the beer is already over carbed then that will not help that much. When trying to lover the carbonation levels you can shake the beer up and burp the keg to release the co2 from solution to get the carbonation out of the beer first. Do that a few times with no gas line hooked up and then let it sit at lowered CO2 levels for a few days to see what happens.

If your keg is too cold, it probably wouldn't make a difference whether your lines are chilled or not. Have you ever opened a (nonfrozen) beer from the back of the fridge, only to have it turn to a slushie as soon as you crack it? The same thing might be happening in your connections; when you go through an elbow or valve you lose pressure and can cause an ice crystal to form. That would make the pressure drop larger, and cause the beer to foam up sporadically as the crystals get pushed through and reform.

If your beer is coming out at near freezing temperature, turn the fridge a few degrees warmer and try it when you get back.

so im pretty sure it was over carbed beer at the root of my problem. i left town for few days and before i did i burped the pressure lightly shook it burped it again and set the pressure way low to 6 psi. when i came back got perfect pours every time although slightly flat. so i incrementally raised it a half or full PSI untill it started foaming again at approx where i was before. so glad i fixed it. i was really considering paying the extra money to go back bottles. thanks for everything guys

so im pretty sure it was over carbed beer at the root of my problem. i left town for few days and before i did i burped the pressure lightly shook it burped it again and set the pressure way low to 6 psi. when i came back got perfect pours every time although slightly flat. so i incrementally raised it a half or full PSI untill it started foaming again at approx where i was before. so glad i fixed it. i was really considering paying the extra money to go back bottles. thanks for everything guys

Good deal :mug:
I think most everyone that keg's has dealt with issues of over carbing

Glad to hear you are good to go. :ban::mug:

I don't know how long you waited after you moved the lines into the fridge and coiled them on top of the keg (cold air falls btw, so the top of your keg isn't the same temp as the bottom...as a side note) but the temp solution takes time to work. You actually need the beer itself to be cold enough to absorb the c02 in the head space. If it's not, and it doesn't. you'll get a ton of foaming.

I had an issue like this recently, and I've owned a kegerator for almost two decades. My culprit was a faulty ball lock fitting. I changed to a different one, and the problem went away. The other possible culprit could be a leak in the inside of keg at the poppit/post. If theres a leak in there, gas can enter your line from above the beer level of the keg. I think that's a longshot, but it sounds like you're taking all ideas. I'd change the ball lock fitting first, close the fridge, let it cool for another 24 hours (this might be overkill, but people with gassing problems are ALWAYS opening their fridge door WAY too often and losing cool air) without opening the fridge door so you know the temp situation is right (btw, throw a thermometer in there and tell us what the temp is?) then pull another pint.

Realize that every kegerator, tower cooled or not, I've ever dealt with foams more then normal on the first pour. I just let it settle and the top off pull of the tap handle usually comes out clear. I hope this helps. I do have a lot of keg experience, so if you'd like to PM me when trying any of these solutions, feel free.

Remember though...some foam is absolutely normal on the first pour. Edit: I see the problem is solved. Carbonation issues take time to solve themselves. Most adjustments to PSI on the regulator need to be in conjunction with purging of the relief valve, incrementally, and allowed a full 24 hours (minimum) to address.

Edit: I see you figured this out. LOL..nevermind what I said above, unless it helps ya later. :mug:

Good to hear you got it straightened out, man. :mug:

Back