Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > still no resolve
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
ejericson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: eugene, oregon
Posts: 17
Default still no resolve

as some of you may have been involved in my last thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/anot...thread-318433/

i have an update. My problem has not been fixed and gotten slightly worse.
so today i took everything apart cleaned the whole system and took great care in putting it all back together very solidly thinking i have an air leak, I used plumbers tape on every thread, and cut nice new ends on all the lines and secured well with good hose clamps. And still with no results. My pour is a little on the weak side but still fills the glass nicely once the foam clears away.

i am really getting frustrated cause i'm waisting a lot of beer every time i want one i have to fill an entire glass with foam to get a steady flow of good beer, once i do get a good glass it tastes just right.

so after my work today i noticed a little stream of of tiny bubbles coming up from the coupler through the beer lines after pouring a beer. i dont know if this was there before as i just noticed it today. Is this air or Co2? if this is air it could be the cause of my problem, if so how could this be fixed? any more thought would be greatly appreciated

__________________

ejericson is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
pelipen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 730
Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

Default

That sounds a life like it could be your problem if it's streaming bubbles in the line while you pour. If you are getting co2 from inside the keg, or air from outside (not sure how in pressurized system), it could be the cause. Like trying to drink soda through a straw with a crack. Especially if it happened with multiple kegs. Have you tried renting a different coupler just to find out? I assume you have the little rubber washer in place. You would probably be leaking beer if not.

__________________
pelipen is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Santa Clarita, California
Posts: 880
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I know it's been said many times in your other thread... But I'm still leaning towards it being over carbonated. It sounds exactly like what happened to me a couple of times when I accidentally over-carbed a couple of kegs.

I too have beer lines that are about 5-6' and my taps run through the door. I've seen that exact thing that you mention where you see bubbles running up the hose from the kegs also. I also got good clean beer in my glass from the portion that wasn't bubbles.

The only way I found to fix it was to relieve the pressure from the keg, shake it, relieve more pressure, shake it some more, and on and on until I hit a lower carb level.
However, that's more work with a sanke coupler.

__________________
krazydave is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
Gab1788
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Springwood, Nsw
Posts: 77
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default

I don't know how to fix it but when this happens to me I just fill a jug up with beer. You still have to wait a little for you first one, but then all the next ones are good to go.

__________________
Gab1788 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #5
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1078 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejericson View Post
as some of you may have been involved in my last thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/anot...thread-318433/

i have an update. My problem has not been fixed and gotten slightly worse.
so today i took everything apart cleaned the whole system and took great care in putting it all back together very solidly thinking i have an air leak, I used plumbers tape on every thread, and cut nice new ends on all the lines and secured well with good hose clamps. And still with no results. My pour is a little on the weak side but still fills the glass nicely once the foam clears away.

i am really getting frustrated cause i'm waisting a lot of beer every time i want one i have to fill an entire glass with foam to get a steady flow of good beer, once i do get a good glass it tastes just right.

so after my work today i noticed a little stream of of tiny bubbles coming up from the coupler through the beer lines after pouring a beer. i dont know if this was there before as i just noticed it today. Is this air or Co2? if this is air it could be the cause of my problem, if so how could this be fixed? any more thought would be greatly appreciated
How long are your serving lines? I had the same problem with too short of serving line, went from 8' to 15' and the problem was solved.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 02:01 AM   #6
ScottSingleton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 438
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

I read through a good bit of the other thread and this one.... I know it's been mentioned but I really think it's a beer and line temp issue.

Warmer beer with off-gas faster because it can't hold the CO2 in solution. My one kegerator inside is a dorm-fridge style with a two-tap tower. my first pour is always 1/2 foam. Subsequent pours are perfect. That's because the beer in the line is warmer the further it gets from chiller plate in the back of the fridge. After that pour colder beer is moving up into the lines, fittings, etc. and they cool down enough to make it a stable pour.

I just pour 1/2 a pint. wait for it to settle. drink it, then pour another.

My Kegerator outside in the garage is in a standing fridge with the taps drilled directly into the side. The plumbing is exactly the same. Same connections, same length of line (about 12') etc. as I bought/made both at the same time. I never have a foam issue with that.

Whenever the temp is above 80 in the garage my tap is sweating constantly and is cold to the touch. The taps on the tower on the dorm-fridge are warm to the touch.

I know you chilled a tap. But that didn't chill the lines nor the beer that was sitting in the lines.

Anyway -- lots of good advice in these posts here; I do hope you figure out what it is.

__________________
ScottSingleton is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
kpfeif
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 28
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Try turning your fridge temperature up a few degrees. I think you're getting a little chunk of ice in your line/coupler that's agitating the beer as it comes up.

__________________
kpfeif is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Homercidal
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 24,396
Liked 2432 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

Default

I've had that same problem when my beer got overcarbed. I tried carb bursting and didn't turn it down soon enough. The beer in the keg doesn't have enough resistance at that pressure and the sudden loss of pressure as it's going through the lines and out into the glass causes it to foam like crazy.

My fix was to vent the keg and then shake it up and then vent again (letting it sit a bit so the foam doesn't come gushing out the vent hole.) until the keg is back to normal.

I've used some paint mixing tubes to increase the resistance in the line to allow me to carb higher than normal on the same length of line.

__________________
Homercidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
ejericson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: eugene, oregon
Posts: 17
Default

all great knowledgable advice and i appreciate it, but ive tried it all, Tried line lengths at 5' went to 12' 11' 10' at all different pressures relieving the keg in between every change and sometimes just to try it. i really dont think its a temp issue cause after moving the lines into the fridge and coiling them on top of the cool keg it got worse my thought was due to taking something apart... when i pour a good beer after waisting foam/beer it doesnt take but 2 minutes for the pour to be foam again, worse then when i had the lines up in the tower.
im almost ready to go back to buying bottles cause at this rate im not saving any money with the keg...

__________________
ejericson is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1078 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejericson View Post
all great knowledgable advice and i appreciate it, but ive tried it all, Tried line lengths at 5' went to 12' 11' 10' at all different pressures relieving the keg in between every change and sometimes just to try it. i really dont think its a temp issue cause after moving the lines into the fridge and coiling them on top of the cool keg it got worse my thought was due to taking something apart... when i pour a good beer after waisting foam/beer it doesnt take but 2 minutes for the pour to be foam again, worse then when i had the lines up in the tower.
im almost ready to go back to buying bottles cause at this rate im not saving any money with the keg...
That sucks. What kinda taps do you have? I know this is obvious, but have you tried disassembling the shanks and serving lines? Maybe a funny connection is causing this.
I'm also wondering if you're overcarbing, but it seems that you've been troubleshooting this and probably tried carbing to a lower volume already.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools




Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS