The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > still fermenting?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
Metzger22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default still fermenting?

I brewed my first batch on Monday. After about 12 hours it was fermenting pretty aggresivly judging by the airlock. Today it seems to have stopped. Just the occasional bubble in the airlock. The only thing that has changed is the temp. has gone from 66 degrees to about 72. Should I pitch some more yeast or is it fine the way it is. I pitched muntons dry ale yeast. Help please.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

It's fine- what's happening is normal. Try to keep it at a steady temperature if you can, I like to keep mine at a steady 64-66 degrees if I can. Just be patient, and in a couple of weeks, you'll have beer!

Old 03-19-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Metzger22
Recipes 

Thanks. I've posted on another forum and everyone seems to agree that it is probably fine. I do have some dificulty keeping it at a steady temp. but I think I'll wrap the fermenter in blanket. Maybe this will reduce the temp. changes.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Just remember your airlock is not a good indicator as to whether or not fermention is happening or is complete...Your hydrometer is!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-20-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
Metzger22
Recipes 

Ahhhh, I checked the gravity with the hydrometer and it reads about 16 or 18. My FG should be 14 to 10. So, I'm guessing this beer is pretty much done fermenting. I'll let it sit a while and then bottle. Should I consider a Secondary?

Old 03-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzger22
Ahhhh, I checked the gravity with the hydrometer and it reads about 16 or 18. My FG should be 14 to 10. So, I'm guessing this beer is pretty much done fermenting. I'll let it sit a while and then bottle. Should I consider a Secondary?
If it's 16-18 and your final grav goal is 14-10 then it's not done fermenting...it's got a few days yet to go...

Secondary is your call...I use a secondary for 2 weeks...FOr one thing it frees up my fermentor for another immediate batch of beer...plus I like letting it clear...and I also believe in long bottle conditioning...but either wayt...secondary or straight to bottle let it sit in the bottles for 3 weeks before drinking....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
Metzger22
Recipes 

Okay, just so I'm clear on this. I'm getting 18 or so on the hydrometer now. It has only been three days. Will it continue to ferment down to 14-10 even though I'm unable to tell by the airlock? It's a three piece airlock and the little cap inside isn't even pushed up like there is any gas at all trying to escape. Sorry if this seems redundant.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzger22
Okay, just so I'm clear on this. I'm getting 18 or so on the hydrometer now. It has only been three days. Will it continue to ferment down to 14-10 even though I'm unable to tell by the airlock? It's a three piece airlock and the little cap inside isn't even pushed up like there is any gas at all trying to escape. Sorry if this seems redundant.
The airlock is not an indication of fermentation or lack of...The only way to tell is with a hydrometer...

Old 03-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Yes, it will continue to ferment until it's finished, even though you might not see it. I've had beers ferment out completely, from 1.050 to 1.012 without showing ANY visible signs. That's why we always say that you can't really gauge a fermentation just by airlock activity. Sure, if the airlock is super active, that's a great sign of fermentation, but if you don't see that, it doesn't mean fermentation isn't happening.

I'd walk away and ignore the beer for at least another week (that will teach it!) and I bet when you check the sg, it'll be right where it should be!

Old 03-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
Liquidicem
I love lamp!

Recipes 

Some beers just take a while to ferment out as well. 3 days is not a long time. I don't even check on a beer for a week at a minimum. I have Kolsch that is still actively fermenting at almost 3 weeks in the primary at 60F.

After a week or so, take hydrometer readings a few days apart. If they are the same and near your FG then the beer is done. If it is still dropping then it is still fermenting.

Quick Reply