The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stick on thermometer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
mdawson9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stick on thermometer

What is the thought out there on stick on thermometers? Are these accurate in reflecting the internal temp of the wort under fermentation? Also, I currently have a brown ale fermenting and the thermometer is under the water line in the tub of water I use to keep everything cool. Would that throw things off?

RIP: British Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, Cream Ale, DIPA, American Brown Ale, Single Hop Nelson Sauvin IPA, NB Winter Warmer, Chimay Blue Clone, Magic Hat #9 clone, Single Hop Cascade IPA, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, SMaSH Cenntenial IPA, German Pils,
Bottled: Beligan Trippel, Imperial IPA
Kegged: American Amber
Fermenting: Belgian Witbier
Lagering:
On Deck: Citra IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 551 Times on 467 Posts
Likes Given: 150

I always figure that it is close. Probably a degree or two warmer during the height of fermentation. I am presently using a swamp cooler so my control is not that accurate anyway.

I also have a wired thermometer that I tape to the side of the Better Bottle. They usually read within 2 degrees.

I have a Johnson A419 controller for my fermentation on order and am now looking for a minifridge to complete a chamber. I might then use a thermowell for a more accurate reading.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:14 AM   #3
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have one on all of my buckets and carboys, they are not 100% accurate but close enough, I do stay in the middle of my fermentation range so a little error in either direction is fine.
I have a remote sensor for a digital thermometer sitting on my fermentation table (ping pong table) in my basement to keep an eye on ambient temperature, the strips show me to be about 2 to 3 degrees above that during the active part of fermentation and real close to ambient after it settles down. (I keep a fan blowing on my newly brewed batches to help keep them cool)

Old 10-04-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
xmacro
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawson9 View Post
What is the thought out there on stick on thermometers? Are these accurate in reflecting the internal temp of the wort under fermentation? Also, I currently have a brown ale fermenting and the thermometer is under the water line in the tub of water I use to keep everything cool. Would that throw things off?
The stick ons, aka Fermometers, aren't supposed to be submerged in water; they're water-resistant, not water-proof

Old 10-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 48

>>thermometer is under the water line in the tub of water I use to keep everything cool. Would that throw things off?

Water will destroy the stick on Thermometer.
I suggest placing it a bit higher.

Quick Reply