Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sterilizing vs. Sanitizing???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2006, 01:06 AM   #1
kfgolfer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sterilizing vs. Sanitizing???

dumb question, I know.. but can someone explain to me the difference between the two and how they pertain to homebrewing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2006, 01:11 AM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 101

It's the difference between "all-dead" and "mostly-dead"

"Sterilize" means that all the nasties are killed, something that realistically homebrewers cannot achieve. "Sanitize" means that most of the nasties are killed, but not all of them. There are always a few resident bacterial, wild yeast, etc. around, but not enough for it to be a problem (they will generally be overwhelmed by the "good" yeast).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:19 AM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Sterilizing means not only are all of the bacteria, yeast, molds etc. dead, but the spores, viruses and their component proteins & DNA have been reduced to water & carbon dioxide.

Unless you get deeply into yeast farming, sanitizing is all you need to do.

Clean is always the first step.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-15-2006, 01:31 AM   #4
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird

"Sterilize" means that all the nasties are killed, something that realistically homebrewers cannot achieve. "Sanitize" means that most of the nasties are killed, but not all of them. There are always a few resident bacterial, wild yeast, etc. around, but not enough for it to be a problem (they will generally be overwhelmed by the "good" yeast).

Guilty pleasure alert. This movie is great.

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Old 12-15-2006, 01:35 AM   #5
magno

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird

Awesome Princess Bride reference

Other than that.... Yeah, what he said.

- magno

Old 12-16-2006, 02:15 AM   #6
gauthierk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

In a home setting it would amost be impossible to sterilize and maintain a sertile field... The dust particles that float in the air can contain thousands of bacteria and they can and will land in a carboy... To sanitize is to reduce the number to an amount that is not effective in causing damage or harm... Look at it this way... A nuclear bome will Sterilize a battle field... Carpet bombing will sanitize... The difference being the total obliteration of everything within 100 miles vs leaving about a dozen guys running round that you can pick off here and there that oppose no real threat...

Old 12-16-2006, 03:32 AM   #7
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

To sterilize you would have to pretty much have to have a laboratory kitchen with air lock, stainless steel surfaces etc. And of course a clean lab suit with filtration of any germs you might exhale. With brewing, as with all food handling, you only need take reasonable care with sanitizing. But a cheap investment is an ultra violet lamp to inspect. Most kitchen sinks and stoves are dirty places and will glow with contamination from the lamp. As to contamination from air, not sure if it is best to have no circulation or filtered flow from heater/air conditioner. But always remember, during the first 8,000 years or so of brewing, sanitation was unknown. And they managed to continue their practice and drink the result.

Quick Reply