Sterilizing Bottles and the Arduous Process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsilk

Reaction score
OK, it's been nearly two weeks in the secondary and while I do not envy myself the arduous task of bottling, I'm tired of looking at all that pretty brown liquid sitting there not doing me any good.

I saved seven six-packs of empties. Here's how I thought I'd do it...

* Brush the bottles out.
* Fill the primary with One-Step water.
* Add the caps.
* Cane the One-Step water into bottles with the bottling wand.
* Drain and rinse the cane, tubing and wand.
* Drain and rinse the bottles.
* Drain and rinse the primary.
* Boil sugar-water and add to the primary.
* Cane beer into the primary (and stir?).
* Bottle and cap six at a time to keep it from being exposed for too long.
* Store in a cool, dark place and wait three weeks.
* Refrigerate.
* Consume.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

clean any gunk out of your bottles with hot water and the brush in a sink or tub...fill the bucket with sanatizing solution... stuff as many bottles in there as you can, get them full, they'll sink... stuff more bottles in there if you can... let them soak... drain the bottles and rinse them if you do not have a no rinse sanatizer.

If it is the same One Step I use you should not have to rinse anything. Instructions say to let air dry. Also doing only a few bottles at a time may not be neccessary. I sanitize mine all at once in a large tub then put on my drying rack all at once then to their case to bottle. I fill the entire case at once then take the bottles out to cap, saves me trying to find a place to put the wand each time. Has worked good so far.

A good investment I made was one of those big plastic storage bins (ie, RubberMade). I use it to store my empties until bottling day, soak my bottles and equipment to clean and then sanitize, and to store equipment between brewing days. It just dawned on me that i can put my carboy in it with water and small frozen water bottles to keep the ferm temp lower. For a few bucks, it's pretty resourceful.

Latest posts

Back