Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Steps to coming up with new recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
chefrand15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Default Steps to coming up with new recipes

I am looking to do my first AG brew and want to make my own recipe to start with and play with flavorings. Where do I start to get blend of grains to mash and pair that with hops and yeast? Should I use one grain and yeast to get flavors individually?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2025 Times on 1774 Posts
Likes Given: 1505

Look at the AG recipes in the recipe forum link in the red strip at the top of the page. It'll give you some ideas as to what grains & yeast are used to brew various styles.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
Look at the AG recipes in the recipe forum link in the red strip at the top of the page. It'll give you some ideas as to what grains & yeast are used to brew various styles.
+1 to perusing existing recipes but you can also go through the BJCP style guidelines for what you want to brew. These guidelines will point out typical ingredients that are used in the style for grain to hops, typical gravity as well as descriptions of the beer, all which can assist in recipe creation.

I would also recommend the books Brewing Classic Styles and Designing Great Beers

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 07-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Kaotica
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Might check out Brewing Classic Styles for some guidelines. A resource I like to use is Brewmasters Warehouse. First pick a style like American Pale or Amber, then spend some time browsing all their on-line recipes. Many recipes posted there are from members of this forum.

You'll start to get a feel for what others do within the style. Then you can use their brew builder to build a recipe of your own. When you are done you can also click buy now to get your exact recipe bundled and shipped. Be sure to set and save the style so you can see the guidelines and common ingredients from the BJCP style guide.

Can also see the BJCP guidelines here: http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/

GL

Old 07-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
I would also recommend the books Brewing Classic Styles and Designing Great Beers
Second the recommendation for "Designing Great Beers". It's an absolutely awesome book and resource for understanding what goes in to each style. It contains a ton of information on how to develop a recipe, including details on grains, hops, yeast, and processes. It does have one fairly massive omission - there is zero mention of Belgian beers anywhere in the book. But otherwise, it covers all the major styles.

$13.50 on Amazon: Designing Great Beers. Worth every penny.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
Waynep005
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Brewing software like Beesmith can also help since they calculate all the number like OG,IBU, ect for you and also give you the style guidlines.

"Stupid Should Hurt"

Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2554 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 5748

Me personally? I'm like a beer chef. I just throw grains and hops together in BeerSmith that sound like they would go well together. Then I choose a yeast that I feel like might add an extra dimension of complexity to the beer. Sometimes I like to stick to style, but mostly I shoot from the hip and don't care what the style guidelines say. For example, I haven't done it yet, but I've been toying around with fermenting a stout grain bill with hefeweizen yeast and adding chocolate to secondary and see if I can't make something that's reminiscent of a banana split.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 07-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Two things got me going:

1: Beersmith/some kind of brewing softwear. I personally love beersmith and it helps immensely not having to do all that math.

2: Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels: It's boring at times but super easy to understand with each style broken up into sections with helpful little charts to work off of when determining how much of a certain grain to use.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #9
chefrand15
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer View Post
Me personally? I'm like a beer chef. I just throw grains and hops together in BeerSmith that sound like they would go well together. Then I choose a yeast that I feel like might add an extra dimension of complexity to the beer. Sometimes I like to stick to style, but mostly I shoot from the hip and don't care what the style guidelines say. For example, I haven't done it yet, but I've been toying around with fermenting a stout grain bill with hefeweizen yeast and adding chocolate to secondary and see if I can't make something that's reminiscent of a banana split.
How did you know I was a chef? Where did you start when testing your blends? Just pick out of the blue with ratios in mind? What research did you do in picking your yeasts?

Old 07-26-2012, 03:53 AM   #10
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2554 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 5748

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefrand15

How did you know I was a chef? Where did you start when testing your blends? Just pick out of the blue with ratios in mind? What research did you do in picking your yeasts?
Well, before I started beer chefin' it, I mostly stuck to style, so I knew approximate ratios to make a beer to style. Then I tarted tweaking those ratios, adding other things (chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, to name a few). After that is when I started toying with the idea of using stylistically unorthodox yeast. I think one of my next few brews is going to be the banana split stout. For me it's just a matter of experimentation and seeing what happens. 9 times out of 10, even if it's not what you're going for it's still good beer.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Quick Reply