Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stepping up your brewing game.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #21
pernox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatbrewer View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone! So I have a fermentation chamber that I make sure stays at the appropriate temps and I have begun to keep a log of each one of my beers. When I printed out the sheets I just wasn't sure which information was really important. The only other thing I have some confusion about was about pitching the proper yeast amount. If I purchase it with a kit shouldn't that be the right amount? I have look at the calcs but I'm a little confused about it all.

Record everything you can, and as you gain experience you'll decide what you really want to track. It's always better to have too much information recorded than too little!

What kind of kits are you buying? Boxed off-the-shelf kits will often come with highly suspect dry yeast in undersized packets. Kits from reputable online brew suppliers will come with enough fresh dry yeast, or liquid yeast that you'll want to make a starter for in most cases.

Here's a handy website for calculating pitch rate; http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Sticking with dry yeast for your first few batches wouldn't be the worst idea if the yeast starter issue seems imposing; lots of good beer is made with dry yeast, and you can cover most styles adequately with what's available.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #22
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Enter one of your beers into a competition, or find experienced brewers in your area and ask them to critique your beer. I can tell you from experience that you can read all of these threads and think you are getting it, and then discover that you glossed over something really important after reading suggestions on a score sheet. I missed the whole "remove the chlorine and chloramine from your brewing water" step until a beer judge docked me for band-aid flavor in the first beer I entered into a competition. Be ready to take a little ego hit (I was down in the dumps for a day or two), but if you listen and focus on improving, the comments will help you make better beer. People who have not tasted your beer can tell you to focus on x, y, and z, and it will be good advice, but the best advice you can get is from someone who has tasted your beer and can diagnose specific issues.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:43 AM   #23
bobcatbrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernox View Post
Record everything you can, and as you gain experience you'll decide what you really want to track. It's always better to have too much information recorded than too little!

What kind of kits are you buying? Boxed off-the-shelf kits will often come with highly suspect dry yeast in undersized packets. Kits from reputable online brew suppliers will come with enough fresh dry yeast, or liquid yeast that you'll want to make a starter for in most cases.

Here's a handy website for calculating pitch rate; http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Sticking with dry yeast for your first few batches wouldn't be the worst idea if the yeast starter issue seems imposing; lots of good beer is made with dry yeast, and you can cover most styles adequately with what's available.
Austin Homebrew is my local shop, I'm doing extract recipes. Two of the beers I made I used liquid yeast and poured it right in after I put the cooled wort in the primary and then sealed it.

The last beer I did with my buddy I had a smack pack and I made a starter over two days with some of the DME I had. After looking at Mr. Malty it looks like I need to add a little more science into what i'm doing.

What is really the benefit of doing a starter as opposed to not?
Keg: None

On deck:
Deranged Hampster Double IPA

Old 10-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #24
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 253 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.php
pretty much covers the basics of why

http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php
covers the basics of how

Old 10-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #25
bobcatbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.php
pretty much covers the basics of why

http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php
covers the basics of how
Awesome! This is perfect. As a side note any opinions on if I should dump my beer if the tip of my therm broke? I really don't want to ditch my old ale, I'm kind of thinking about filtering it. Is that even possible?

Thanks for all the replies

On deck:

Old 10-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #26
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Yeastcalc.com is another good site for starters, it is especially useful for step-ups. I find it's graphic nature easy to use and seems a bit more straight forward than mrmalty. It also tells you your actual pitch rate (cells per ml), both required and final.

EDIT: For Production date: As listed on Wyeast smakpac....4 months prior to "Use by" date on White Labs.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 10-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #27
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Austin Homebrew is my local shop, I'm doing extract recipes. Two of the beers I made I used liquid yeast and poured it right in after I put the cooled wort in the primary and then sealed it.

The last beer I did with my buddy I had a smack pack and I made a starter over two days with some of the DME I had. After looking at Mr. Malty it looks like I need to add a little more science into what i'm doing.

Fermentation is the most important part of beer making. That, and being 21.

Your yeast control the fermentation. As far as benefits of doing a starter vs not, that's like asking what are the benefits of being alive vs not. There is no non benefit of making a starter. It's one of the most important things.

Unless you use dry yeast, most people don't use starters for dry. Just pitch enough packets.

Also, enter some contests. Feedback is so huge.

Read a lot. Yeast, brewing classic styles, designing great recipies, etc. Learn to taste.

Etc, etc, etc.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:22 AM   #28
bobcatbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmartin000 View Post
Fermentation is the most important part of beer making. That, and being 21.

Your yeast control the fermentation. As far as benefits of doing a starter vs not, that's like asking what are the benefits of being alive vs not. There is no non benefit of making a starter. It's one of the most important things.

Unless you use dry yeast, most people don't use starters for dry. Just pitch enough packets.

Also, enter some contests. Feedback is so huge.

Read a lot. Yeast, brewing classic styles, designing great recipies, etc. Learn to taste.

Etc, etc, etc.
Entering contests seems to be a recurring theme, I think I'm going to do my best to perfect this old ale that I'm brewing and try to find a way to put my own spin on it then enter my beer during the springs sometime.

Any good recommendations on how to design recipes or is it just something that you figure out after awhile?

Also if anyone has any comments on the old ale I have fermenting that has a small amount of glass in it i would be all ears. I'm thinking of tranferring to the secondary tonight. I would really love to keep it :/

On deck:

Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 AM   #29
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 243 Posts

What do you use to transfer? If you transfer via siphon, you will likely not even be able to pick the glass up.

Especially if you have a racking cane like mine (are they all the same?). It has a cap on the bottom so the liquid is pulled from above. I think it would be almost impossible to pick up glass with it.

Also, just because I know people are going to ask - why are you using a secondary?

Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #30
bobcatbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
What do you use to transfer? If you transfer via siphon, you will likely not even be able to pick the glass up.

Especially if you have a racking cane like mine (are they all the same?). It has a cap on the bottom so the liquid is pulled from above. I think it would be almost impossible to pick up glass with it.

Also, just because I know people are going to ask - why are you using a secondary?
Some were recommending it if you had a broken therm. I have read that transferring to the secondary isn't really necessarily in general so I was planning just to leave it on the yeast cake for 4 weeks.

So you think I'm good to go? I would of course siphon a few inches off the trub just to be safe.

On deck:

Quick Reply