Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Step up yeast starter question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
layne00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Step up yeast starter question

Doing a second step on my yeast starter tonight and have a quick question for the more seasoned brewer (doing my first tomorrow). According to yeastcalc.com, I was needing to do a 800 ml second step which I boiled tonight. When I poured the cooled wort onto my yeast cake, the volume only came to 600 ml in the flask due to either boil off, miss measurement, or a small boil over I had. Should I pour some additional water on top to bring up my volume and lower the gravity to within the appropriate range or just leave in as is?
Much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 459 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by layne00
Doing a second step on my yeast starter tonight and have a quick question for the more seasoned brewer (doing my first tomorrow). According to yeastcalc.com, I was needing to do a 800 ml second step which I boiled tonight. When I poured the cooled wort onto my yeast cake, the volume only came to 600 ml in the flask due to either boil off, miss measurement, or a small boil over I had. Should I pour some additional water on top to bring up my volume and lower the gravity to within the appropriate range or just leave in as is?
Much appreciated.
I'd leave it alone and not worry about it

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply