Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Steeping Rice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
CScotland
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Steeping Rice

Hello,

I am planning on steeping rice in a beer I'm making to tone down the flavour of the sorghum extract that I'm using... I'm not wanting to convert any of the starch from the rice to alcohol, just to add (or neutralise) the flavour. How do I go about steeping the rice? What temperature and what quantity is recommended?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
estricklin
Certified Guitar Pickin' Hop Slingin' Crazy Homebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I've brewed with rice, but never stepped it, I'm not sure that it will add any flavor at all, maybe some unfermentable starches? If you want to add some body try some maltodextrin or steep one of the many malts available whose soul job is to add body.

Who is John Galt?

Old 06-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
JimRausch
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Just a suggestion that I would guess the people with the answer to your question might more likely hang out in the 'gluten free' section of the forum. Good Luck!

Primary: Starting back up again. Labor Day Irish Red
Cold Conditioning:nothing
Bottle conditioning:nada
Drinking: Apricot moon, Orange Moon, Ryecentennial PA,Caribou Slobber,Jim's Altbier,Mocha Cherry Stout,Pope Gil's Red Shoes(Irish Red),La Fin de L'Annee, Soxtoberfest, Opening Day Vienna Lager, Ben's Doublealt, Gunslinger Cranberry Graf, several others

Old 06-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
CScotland
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks. Yes it's a gluten free beer I'm making so I'll ask there. I'm planning on using maltodextrin for body, the rice was just to try and limit the 'tangy' aftertaste that the sorghum extract imparts. How would the unfermented starches affect the beer??

Old 06-05-2014, 01:31 AM   #5
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CScotland View Post
Thanks. Yes it's a gluten free beer I'm making so I'll ask there. I'm planning on using maltodextrin for body, the rice was just to try and limit the 'tangy' aftertaste that the sorghum extract imparts. How would the unfermented starches affect the beer??

Steeping rice will merely get it wet. Any starches you may leach out of the grain will only have negative effects on the beer, like haze and possible infections down the line and it will provide no fermentable products. Rice syrup solids are available at most LHBS. If you want to introduce a rice-based product to lighten and/or counterbalance other ingredients this is the way to go IMO.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
AimeeMarie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
Any starches you may leach out of the grain will only have negative effects on the beer, like haze and possible infections down the line and it will provide no fermentable products.

Not to detract from the OP but I do have a question here...

Why would this increase the likelihood of infection down the line? I extract brew, so steeping occurs before the boil which should kill off any infectious organisms. I'm planning on steeping rolled corn in my next batch so I'm curious if I'm missing something... Thanks!

Old 06-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I've never heard of infections. But BigEd is right that it will have only negative effects on the beer. Steeping rice - or flaked grains of any type - will net you nothing but sticky glop. That's bad news for your rolled corn, too. Such things must be mashed. Heck, most grist constituents must be mashed to get their full effect. It's only a few things - like Crystal malts and roasted grains - which can be steeped with full effect.

The good news is if you can steep, you can do a mini-mash. There are tutorials on HBT that take you step by step.

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 06-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeMarie View Post
Not to detract from the OP but I do have a question here...

Why would this increase the likelihood of infection down the line?
Because the beer with contain unfermented compounds like starch. While brewer's yeast will not be able to metabolize them any stray bacteria or wild yeast may.

Quick Reply