Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Steeping question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Steeping question

Hey guys, I'm about to brew extract beer #2 this weekend and I had a question regarding steeping specialty grains. For my first brew I did a partial boil because I was using a 3 gal enamel pot we had. I dug out my turkey frier and cleaned that up really nice and now I'll be able to do a full boil. My question is, should I steep in the full volume of water or do the steeping in a smaller pot and then add the water in to the big pot? Unless there's a specific reason it needs to steep in 3-4 quarts as I usually see recommended it seems like it would be easier to just have one pot going.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
JSGT09
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used to steep my grains in about 3 gal of water, but my last batch I steeped in a smaller amount on the stove and then added the grain tea to the water in the kettle. I decided to do this after reading several steeping threads stating that it was better to steep grains with 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain.

Haven't tried this brew yet so I can't tell you how it has changed since my first ones.

Primary: Empty :(
Kegged: Ed Wort Hefeweizen, Scottish Shilling 80
Bottled: 1554 Clone

Old 01-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Strangelove
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can't see any good reason not to steep in the full volume.

Primary 4: Extra Hard Lemonade
On Deck:
SECONDARY:
Bottle Conditioning: MW Belgian Honey, Edwort's Apfelwein, MW Bourbon Barrel Old Ale, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, BM's Hooked on Bitters, Beecave Haus Pale Ale
Drinking: Yooper's Stone Ruination Clone, BM's SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde, BM's Kona Fire Rock Clone,

Old 01-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2262 Times on 1970 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

The amount of water for steeping isn't as critical as the amount needed for mashing. Even partial mash. Mashing uses base grains that help specialty grains & others convert starches into sugars. 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. In steeping though,the temp range is the same. 150-160F for 20-30 minutes steeping. Mashing goes from 45-60 minutes. Closer to 150F mash temp gives more sugar,closer to 160F gives more color/flavor.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Use about 1 - 1.5 qts of water per pound of grain for steeping then add it to the rest of your water. Of course you could steep in your kettle then add the rest of your water when you are done steeping.

I believe that steeping in larger volumes tends to extract tannins from the grain lending an astringent taste to your beer.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Strangelove
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwash View Post
Use about 1 - 1.5 qts of water per pound of grain for steeping then add it to the rest of your water. Of course you could steep in your kettle then add the rest of your water when you are done steeping.

I believe that steeping in larger volumes tends to extract tannins from the grain lending an astringent taste to your beer.
Not even close to being true. There is a lot of BS on the subject of tannins, mostly rumor. If you read a text by experts you'll find that tannins have nothing to do with volumes. Only pH and temp effect tannin production.
On Deck:
SECONDARY:
Bottle Conditioning: MW Belgian Honey, Edwort's Apfelwein, MW Bourbon Barrel Old Ale, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, BM's Hooked on Bitters, Beecave Haus Pale Ale
Drinking: Yooper's Stone Ruination Clone, BM's SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde, BM's Kona Fire Rock Clone,

Old 01-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2262 Times on 1970 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

That's only true when mashing,not steeping. They are similar,but def not the same. Steeping being the less critical. We've steeped in 2 gallons of water before for partial boils that came out great. But you get a thicker mash with 1qt per pound of grain,looser with 1.5qt of water per pound of grain. Any more than that is where you start extracting tannis from the change in the water's PH do to larger volume.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Strangelove
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm a BIAB'er, but I've never read anywhere on here (or Palmer, etc) where someone has altered a mash or steep water volume to compensate for pH, only adding buffers.

On Deck:
SECONDARY:

Old 01-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
ilikeguns
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
If you read a text by experts you'll find that tannins have nothing to do with volumes. Only pH and temp effect tannin production.
I've been reading so many things that say that tannin production vs volume thing but my gut has been telling me that it is not true.. glad to hear someone say it!

life is too short to drink beer you don't love...

Old 01-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
Not even close to being true. There is a lot of BS on the subject of tannins, mostly rumor. If you read a text by experts you'll find that tannins have nothing to do with volumes. Only pH and temp effect tannin production.
Okay, my bad, should have researched a bit before i posted. I could swear that i read that somewhere though. But in referring to palmer's how to brew just now, i see in his extract w/ specialty grains sample recipe that they steep the 1.25# grain in 3 gallons of water. My apologies to the op, sounds like there'd be no problem steeping in the full amount.

Quick Reply