The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Steeping/Partial Munich Malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
radial67
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Steeping/Partial Munich Malt

Im just moving from Kit brewing into PM and steeping and did the APA from Jamils/JP's Brewing Classic Styles however, I couldnt get my hands on any Munich Extract, so went for grain.

It wasnt until I read a bit further that I realized that steeping Munich is not an option but did it anyway and did a bit of a Partial Mash in a bag (with probably too much water and possibly too hot) and ended up with a tannin-y grain-y tasting result.

I sparged it too by pouring hot water over the bag while it was in a collander but didnt squeeze it.

It ended up a huge OG of 1075 of cooled wort (with the LME added) and as a result, I didnt have enough yeast ready in the starter to accomodate such a high OG and as a result it didnt fully attenuate and only attenuated 65% to 1024 and didnt have another vial of 001.

Tasted sweet and grain-y as expected.

So, moving onto batch #2

I Ordered from my LHBS and when it was delivered, I found the Victory (1lb) and Munich (1lb) milled and mixed together in the same bag, so Im sorta in a bit of a spot and its not until today when I was thinking about how I was gonna approach my process. What do I do?

Do I Partial in a big bag and strike @ 165F with the intention to drop to 152F and hold for an hour? Also, I have no idea the volume of water to use for 2lbs of Victory/Munich grain..... (important???)

Should I sparge it

Does this sound OK?

If I dont sparge I probably will end up with more of a reasonable OG (1056) instead of some stupid huge OG (1075)

Also, I have 6.6lbs of Pale Extract and a little bit of wheat.... should I boil the extract and hops in the wort pot and if so, should I add some additional water to the wort when I add the extract?

I so dont wanna end up with another 30 bottles of tannin-y grain-y tasting beer again and I dont want to/cant send the grain back to the shop in time for the weekend.

Any advice from someone that has PM'd like this would be appreciated.

Last edited by radial67; 10-14-2011 at 06:30 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1293

Just for future reference,Midwest now carries Munich malt extract. I'm thinking of trying it myself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply