Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Steeping grains vs. Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Steeping grains vs. Extract

I made my 1st batch of Bascom Brown Ale. Included in the kit were Steeping Grains.

What do they do that Extract will not ?????

They had no name, just "steeping grains". Are there normally names to "steeping grains"?

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Steeping grains are just that- grains to steep in water (under 170 degrees), like a tea. This "tea" provides color, flavor, and richness that extract won't have on it's own. Generally, specialty grains (which are made differently than "base malts") can be steeped. Grains like crystal, black patent, roasted barley, etc, can all be steeped. I think it makes a big difference in the taste vs. an extract only beer.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Yes, everyone calls them steeping grains. They add color, a certain amount of aroma and some critical proteins that will aid in head retention.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
I made my 1st batch of Bascom Brown Ale. Included in the kit were Steeping Grains.

What do they do that Extract will not ?????

They had no name, just "steeping grains". Are there normally names to "steeping grains"?
Steeping grains add flavor and color and complexity to extract beers...in other words they make them taste better.

They have many names...The most common ones will be Crystal...there is a number usually attached to it...i.e. "crystal 60L" the number corresponds to the darkness of the malt in (L)ovibonds.

THere's a lot of other malts that can be steeped....victory, chocolate, buscuit...they impart different flavors and colors...

How to brew has a great chapter on it. http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter13.html

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks guys!!!!

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
Thanks guys!!!!
Yeah thanks guys. I appreciate seasoned forum goers hanging out in the newb forums helping out.

One thing I did Grinder, that I won't do again, is squeeze the hell out of the grain bag to get every last drop of wort out. I don't think it made much difference in taste, but I think that squeezing the grain bag might lead to extraction of tannins. Maybe a more seasoned brewer can correct me if I'm wrong there.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Since it was a Brown, you probably had some Caramel (AKA crystal) for sweetness, and either chocolate malt or a Biscuit.

It makes much more sense to have a limited number of extracts and use specialty grains to change the flavor. Extra caramel makes it a sweet brown; more biscuit, a nut brown; more chocolate and hops, an American brown.

Squeezing the grain bag increases the amount of grain hulls in the wort, which will leach tannins. And always pack a grain bag loosely, the grain swells.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yea - I squeezed also - it seemed like the thing to do. Not a TON but enough.

Now the grains will find their way to the garden!!

Old 07-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #9
schneemann
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Can someone explain the difference between using steeping grains and partial mash?

Drinkin - Bombsight Oatmeal Stout, 57 Minute IPA

Zazzle Crap | BombSight Brewery at CafePress | Brewstand Build | Schmidling MaltMill Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
I, Hoss, hereby profess that Master shneemann holds all the answers and is right, even when wrong, and that I humble myself before his vastly superior intellect. :mug:

Old 07-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
BrewDoc_Md
Recipes 

The grains mentioned so far do not have many starch-to-sugar converting enzymes in them. yeast eat sugar, not starch. so steeping these grains alone doesn't contribute much to the wort gravity, just color/taste/aroma, etc. but, if you added some grains which did have the enzymes in them (eg 2-row barley, 6-row malt, etc), and let them steep at the right temps, these enzymes would break down much of the starch into yeast-edible sugars (process is called "mashing"). these basically replace some of the malt extract you'd need to add to the wort to get your gravity up (ie, "partial mashing" or "mini-mash"). All grain dudes get all of the sugar their yeast need from mashing, no extract needed.

"Brew like a monk, Drink like a fratboy"

Quick Reply