Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > steeping grains take longer to mature?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
lkondolian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default steeping grains take longer to mature?

I've done a few all extract batches, and they're generally ready to drink after 6 weeks. 5 weeks would be tolerable, barely.

I have my first couple of batches with steeping with 1 lb of grains in bottles. One is at 8 weeks, now, and still really tastes grain-ey. (An american pale ale.) The other, a pseudo pilsner (pilsner brewing with ale yeast) is at 5 weeks, too, and has the same kind of muddy quality.

Do extract brews normally finish faster than steeping grains / AG, or did I mess something up? I used a brewing thermometer and was in the correct range of temps and times for the steep.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
Kronin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not sure why your having this issue... I do not think there is any difference in times for extract vs steeping vs partial or full mash / ag.... my first extract with steeping was wonderful and very drinkable after 3 weeks in the bottle...

Keg conditioning:
Drinking: Edworts Apfelwein, FrostHammer Ale

Old 05-22-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronin View Post
Not sure why your having this issue... I do not think there is any difference in times for extract vs steeping vs partial or full mash / ag.... my first extract with steeping was wonderful and very drinkable after 3 weeks in the bottle...
I second that, I am on batch number 5 and all have been extract w/specialty grains. Of course, they have gotten better with each batch, but very drinkable after 3 weeks in the bottle. I do a single primary for about a month before bottling though, that might have something to do with it.

If your steeping temps are too high, it could be tannins...I usually shoot for 150-155°

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Last edited by Schnitzengiggle; 05-22-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:16 AM   #4
lkondolian
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzengiggle View Post
I second that, I am on batch number 5 and all have been extract w/specialty grains. Of course, they have gotten better with each batch, but very drinkable after 3 weeks in the bottle. I do a single primary for about a month before bottling though, that might have something to do with it.

If your steeping temps are too high, it could be tannins...I usually shoot for 150-155°
aha! I was told to get it to 180, turn off the heat and add the grain bag. Maybe that was it.

Will the yeast take care of the tannins?

Old 05-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
Hercules Rockefeller
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

the Tannin flavor will mellow out somewhat with time, but this batch will probably never be one of your best. stick to the 150-155 range next time and you'll notice the improvement. also make sure not to squeeze the grain bag or steep it in too much water I'd say as a rule of thumb more than a gallon of water per pound of steeping grain could lead to over-extraction. Ideally you'd use closer to about a quart to 1/3 gallon of water per pound, but if you're steeping in a grain bag that might not cover the bag.

"let me be the first to welcome our new insectile overlords"

On deck: Breakfast stout
Primary: Empty
Secondary: American Pale Ale
Conditioning: None
Kegged: Imperial red ale, Breakfast stout, Chipotle Irish red ale, Biermuncher's C3C cream ale

Old 05-23-2009, 12:33 AM   #6
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkondolian View Post
aha! I was told to get it to 180, turn off the heat and add the grain bag. Maybe that was it.

Will the yeast take care of the tannins?
Yes, that was your problem, and no, the yeast won't help too much with that.
Try to never exceed 170F with grains or you begin to risk tannin extraction depending on pH.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 05-23-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
the Tannin flavor will mellow out somewhat with time, but this batch will probably never be one of your best. stick to the 150-155 range next time and you'll notice the improvement. also make sure not to squeeze the grain bag or steep it in too much water I'd say as a rule of thumb more than a gallon of water per pound of steeping grain could lead to over-extraction. Ideally you'd use closer to about a quart to 1/3 gallon of water per pound, but if you're steeping in a grain bag that might not cover the bag.
I've been using this method for my batches. All have been extract w/ grains and they are getting better each batch. Stick to the lower temp range for steeping. After it ferments in the primary, let the yeasts clean up after themselves and you'll get less of what you were describing. Patience is the single hardest part of this...especially for those of us just getting started.

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 05-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was amazed when I tasted my first batches and comparing to what I was doing when I was in the 30 batch area.

When I hit batch #10 I thought I was king. Then 20 batches later I thought THOSE early batches were so . . . simple. You will just keep getting better and better.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
I have had excellent results with 3-3.5 gallons of water to about 2-3 lbs of steeping grains. Just keep the temps in the low to mid 150's and you'll be safe. I beleive this range would still be safe for conversion if you have any base malts or convertible starches.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Quick Reply