Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > steeping grains like sun tea?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 03:20 AM   #31
iambeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Hey Decibelz,

Grains have to be converted into sugars, that's why the specific 150-160 F temp is needed.

I think you could sun-steep adjunts like orange rinds or something like that (not sure how well it would work though) but the base malts are basically either grains that need to be converted or a mix that is ready to go that won't really change from sitting in water all day.

Sometimes only half the answer is given, and you are totally coming from a new direction so that's probably the miscommunication here. This is a newbie zone so it's easier to get your creative thinking. Unfortunately this particular idea with malt probably won't work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 03:26 AM   #32
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

I think what you're looking for is called "cold steeping."

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/cold-steeping-specialty-grains-334341/

It's generally used to extract color, but not astringency, from highly kilned malts. According to some of the "toast your own" threads, even something as light as 20L spends about 1/2 an hour at 300 degrees, so I would think most of the molds and bacteria would get cooked. Of course, grains aren't usually kept in sterile conditions, so they may get re-contaminated, but I don't think specialty grains are the bacteria bomb people are making them out to be.

I say give it a try. If you're able, I'd try brewing two batches back-to-back with the same grain bill. One would be with specialty grains steeped in the traditional manner and the other with the "sun tea" method. I'd check on the "tea" every evening and if it starts to get funky, either start over with a shorter time period, or boil it right there to keep it at an acceptable level of sourness until you can brew.

One other potential drawback I could see is that the sun might tend to bleach the "tea" such that you may not get the color you're looking for. But that might be a potential benefit, depending on how you look at it.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #33
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibelz View Post
I love how your all so rude. Like come on give me a break for being opened minded . I'm not new at this it was just curiosity . I've brewed some sick high gravity ales and not once have I had a compliant on any of them and its a wide spread of ages that have tried them so please don't Hodge. Especially when you don't even know me or gave tried any of my brews . .... This is just sad
Classic.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 06-12-2012, 03:48 AM   #34
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Watch these videos to understand why specific temps are required

Old 06-12-2012, 03:52 AM   #35
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1876 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 2697

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
My guess would be that it will get funky sour growth of sorts, depending on how long you sun it for. Grain, plus moisture, plus warmth equals compost...stinky compost!
It is God awful stinky compost. The nauseating odors from the pig farm near where I grew up plus the putrid smell of the dairies where I live now combined can't compete with the stench of rotting spent grain. .

But in the end it does make fantastic soil!

Old 06-12-2012, 03:54 AM   #36
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
It is God awful stinky compost. The nauseating odors from the pig farm near where I grew up plus the putrid smell of the dairies where I live now combined can't compete with the stench of rotting spent grain. .

I am totally convinced.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:04 AM   #37
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I remember when I was little my parents had some pigs and they would dump grain and water in a trough in the summer. When it started foaming they knew it was ready to feed the hogs. When I started brewing I realized that they were actually making beer! Just not anything I would want to drink....

Old 06-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #38
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Oh for sure, it's great for the garden, but man does it reek if you let it sit and compost first.... the lacto makes it smell like a mutated pile of nuclear baby vomit. Great for my wife's flowers, though, although I'm thinking our Columbine plant may be a bit sensitive to lactobacillus, a couple of the leaves had colonies that looked like they were on a petri dish.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #39
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibelz View Post
Oh I'm not new at this
with all due respect, if you knew what you were doing this wouldn't have even entered your mind because it doesn't make one bit of sense.
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894
NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 06-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #40
billl
Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Several posts seem to be confusing mashing with steeping. Grains that need to be mashed certainly need to be held in a certain temp range for a certain period of time. Some grains have already gone through another process that converts the sugars - like holding them at hot, dry temps. For those, you are just dissolving the existing pre-converted sugar in water.

So, theoretically, you could steep at suntea temps for an extended period. As others have eloquently pointed out though, there is a high chance of there being a bunch of bacteria creating a nasty funk instead of tasty brew.

If you want to try, a pound of crystal is pretty cheap, so go ahead. The worst thing that happens if that you have to throw it out. If it ends up smelling and tasting fine, a 60 minute boil is gonna kill any bacteria in it.

Quick Reply