Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > steeping grains? how long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
mojotele
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambledegg81 View Post
It's known as a protein rest, and it's more applicable to all-grain brewing, but since the steeping process (for extract brews) is similar, it allows the proteins from the grain to coagulate a bit. (Removing the protein is done during the boil and after cooling, where you skim off the "goop" that tends to group together on the surface...it allows for a cleaner beer in the end.) Search around here for threads regarding protein rest for more info.
I'm not so sure this "protein rest" is really a protein rest at all, but I might be missing something and could be totally wrong.

Regardless, I do know that protein rests are basically not needed for well-modified malt, and almost all the malt we work with nowadays is well-modified. So I don't think you really need to let it rest after steeping if indeed you are accomplishing a protein rest by doing so. Doing a protein rest with well-modified malt can actually be detrimental to the body and head retention of the beer.

I've only done one protein rest ever in all-grain brewing, and that was when I was doing a triple decoction using under-modified malt.

EDIT: Removed the bit about FAN - don't think that part was correct.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #12
fatmoose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
They're also mashing and therefore monitoring the temperature carefully enough to know there will be no tannins to extract. Steeping is a bit more of a willy-nilly process... at least it is for me. I have no qualms squeezing the bag when I do an all-grain in a bag brew but I personally wouldn't do it with steeping grains because after I get the water to 150F, I don't monitor the temps close enough to make absolutely sure I'm not over the tannin extraction threshold (170F or so). If I were to get over that threshold for any length of time, squeezing the bag would be bad.
That makes sense, thanks.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #13
sportscrazed2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

northern brewer recipes always say 20 minutes or 170 whatever comes first. last time i bought the temperature up to 160 threw in grains turned off heat and let sit for 20 minutes

Old 10-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
jourelemode
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

yeah mine says bring it up to 155 turn the heat off and throw the bag in for 25mins...i should probably just follow the directions huh...

Quick Reply