Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Steeping grains for a full boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
ak47clown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Steeping grains for a full boil

Gonna do my first full boil on Saturday with a Lemon Corriander Weiss from Midwest now that I picked up my turkey fryer. Here's my plan-just want to make sure there's nothing wrong with my thinking:

Since I now have my original steel pot for the stove and now the turkey fryer, I'll steep the specialty grains in 2 gallons or so on the stove and in the meantime, get 4 gallons going in the fryer. I figure if i time everything right, i should be just about done steeping by the time the turkey fryer starts boiling. At that point i'll dump in my kettle from the stove and continue as normal. OR is it better just to start off to steep in the full 6 gallons?

:::_____________:::

Primary: Bass Ackwards Brew
Secondary:
Bottled: Magic Hat #9 clone, Amarillo IPA, Lemon Coriander Weiss
Up next: ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 03:50 AM   #2
JMSetzler
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

That should work... you might wanna try something a little different tho... just for fun and good practice...

Steep your grains in 2 gallons and put 3 gallons in the fryer. Put the extra gallon on the stove in another pot and heat it up to 165 or so. After you dump the wort from the steep, pour the extra gallon of warm water over the grain bag in the pot to get out some extra fermentables from the grain bag.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:01 AM   #3
ak47clown
Recipes 

Cool. Thanks for the advice-i'll give it a shot!

:::_____________:::

Primary: Bass Ackwards Brew
Secondary:
Bottled: Magic Hat #9 clone, Amarillo IPA, Lemon Coriander Weiss
Up next: ?

Quick Reply