Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Steeping Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
HeadyKilowatt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroach01 View Post
I used to think that tannins would be extracted above these temperatures but now im not so sure. The whole principle of decoction mashes, where you boil the grains, seems to disprove the theory.
I'm not sure about this. I've never done a decoction mash, but I'm familiar with the basics of the method. Because the decoction that you bring to a boil is so thick, there is less water to act as a solvent to extract tannins, and the mash pH is different than that of water + steeping grains. I assume that one or both of these factors play a part in not extracting tannins during decoction mashing, but again, I'm not sure. Maybe someone else with more knowledge and experience with decoction mashing could weigh in on this. I would be interested to hear the explanation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1904 Times on 1677 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

OK,I found a wiki on decotion mashing that might help; http://www.ask.com/wiki/Decoction Not much there,but informative.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply